The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Fiber

Just got into some fiber that I liked. Did some looking around and found a clip from EP fibers. Along with the Clouser Minnow got two very nice looking minnow patterns. I like the Fiber (or what I call the ghost minnow) the best. I find they are both very easy to ty. Both are on a 2/0 hook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427081752a.jpg (39.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081752.jpg (38.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081756.jpg (42.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fiber

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427081753.jpg (39.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081755.jpg (38.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081854.jpg (55.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I find that Frosted Mini wheats as well as Kashi cereals do the trick.......

Oh, nevermind. Sorry, my smartarse had a bit of a flare up.

Good looking flies there. How does that fiber move in the water?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Now that you mention it, the one does look like a frosted mini wheat. Just add milk. I have not gotten out to use it yet. Just made it this last weekend and well for the past few days we've had a 20+ mph wind up here. I dont think even the most expert fly caster can do very well in a wind like that. I've hopeing they will look very well and stay together for the most part. If anything a breathing/poofing action may do well. This is the first time I've tyed with hair fibers and fist time using this product. They are called Dougs Bugs Angle Hair type. I got them off of eBay. In theory and in mind they look very good to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

So are those fly made of ep fibers or another fiber? Whatever they are made of they look really good. I tie with ep fibers and really like the way they move in the water.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:00 PM

goodwater:
I seen a video to ty a EP fiber forage minnow and that is what I used as a "how to" to make them. I used what is called angle hair, I do not know who makes them, I got them from eBay. Real cheap as well. 4 pks at $2 each. The video is very nice since it shows step by step. He gives some good advice on how to trim, stripe, put eyes on, and epoxy use to make them. Almost any fibers will do since I've seen many types, but this is the first I;ve made. Plan on making more. The larger hooks should work great for pike and smallies. Just need more fiber colors, hook types, and eyes.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking Fly! Thanks for turning us on to it!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM

No Prob, I got a new type of fiber from Cabelas and have made one fly with it so far. Blended this new (new to me) fiber with this angel hair. Came out even better. I want to make one more then will post. These fiber minnows I think will be my "go to" when out hunting the big predator fish we have up here.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

whats the video link your talking about? I would love to see it!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 PM

TGood: the correct name is the EP Baitfish Streamer, I used something else...2 other fibers to be correct. Though I find that this is spot on of a how too. Even though I used different fibers then what is used in this video I think it works very well and for anything.

here is the link

EP Baitfish Streamer Fly

That is what I used to make my fiber minnows from.