The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Top Prop

Did some looking around, did some thinking, and came up with a prop type topwater fly. The hope is when stripping line, the prop will spin and the body of the flys will give enough of a bloop. Should be very good on smallies.

Body is deer hair
Hook is 1/0
Thread is thin nylon and floss

Key is to ty just far enough from the hook to allow epoxy to be applyed with out getting the hook or prop covered. Have done 3 so far. Got big hopes on this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0427081757.jpg (43.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081758.jpg (43.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081759a.jpg (44.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081759.jpg (43.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 0427081759b.jpg (38.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Top Prop

Its been a while since I tied or fished any, but there's one tricky aspect of prop flies: you've got to give the prop a good surface to spin on. I've found that a thread mound often doesn't work, but a brass bead held in position with a thread mound helps.

Also, beware of their tendency to spin in flight and inadvertently make your leader a furled one.

All that aside, they REALLY catch fish. It just takes a little more attention to get the fly set up right and to cast it without creating problems.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I have thought of those samethings you mentioned Cliff. That is why I used epoxy to give it a surface to spin on. I could not find any beeds that I could get on the hook and that did not hinder the fly in some other way. Now you got to remember that I am in an area that the craft department at walmart has the closest things to fly material. With that said, I get a lot of my stuff from on line stores and if I get a chance to, a city 100 miles from where I live does have fly stuffz. But I dont get that way too often so...I have to make do with what I got. So far I got one that will spin almost on will. As far as the spin in air goes. That is one of the reasons I put the majority of the fly away from the prop itself. I plan on doing a rear mounted prop just have to find a way to stabilize it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff, I have a question about the leader twist, where this looks like a bigger fly.
Will it still twist badly if you go with a little heavier tippet? Would that counteract it?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A heavier tippet would most likely help quite a bit to counteract the twist.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.