The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: clousers anyone?

Nice job GM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

GM here try this, add maraboo on the back of the hook before you tie the rest of the fly. I find that the added color works very well for bass. Smallies love color and the action of the maraboo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0527081949.jpg (35.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks for the tip esox. whats colors did ya use on that clouser? looks some sort of clown clouser with lots of diff colors in it?! check these out. I made these today. no clouser at all but a minnow imitation. its just a zonker rabbit strip tied behind the bead chain eyes and it has flash wrapped up the hook shank. will give um a go tomorrow as I here these have great action in the water and are great for bass and gills. made um in olive and white. black is also a great color i hear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30773.JPG (82.5 KB, 8 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Actually G I just took a hair stacker and added a bunch of differant colors. The maraboo was oj and purple. The buck colors are pink hot pink, olive, grey, and some red. I find that smallies as well as pike love brighter colors. Though cant pass over natural colors. I like your zonker minnow. I picked up the clouser minnow book. There is actually in there a clouser that uses the zonker stripps. I tryed one but the zonker strips I got are too thin. Since I use size 2 hooks up to 5/0. So the strips are about as thick as the hooks are. As I pick up differant material I see if I can make a clouser out of it. I'll post a pic of my clouser box. I also have made some on size 4 and 6 hooks for smaller fish. Hope this gives you some more ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0527081949a.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I see now your flies are huge!! for the smallies around here I always used a size 6,8.or 10 althought i am no expert.. these are on just a size 10 streamer. thats why the zonker actually fits these should work for gills bass and crappie.. a size 2 I don't see um fitting like you say. the olive seems thicker than the white zonkers i got. I have never tried using a fly so big before like you do. the smallies around here are not that huge. 14 inches I have seen. prolly could get bigger I suppose? I also use a 5wt for fishing. with the big hooks you use what size you throwing? 7wt?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 PM

I got a 5wt and now a 9wt. I made most of my Clouser's for pike and have some smaller ones for bass. The ones I have made for bass are on a size 2 to 1/0. A lot of the bass here are bigger, often 18+. I often use larger popers, bigger plastics (4"-5"), and 1/2-1oz spinnerbaits. Though some of my clousers look big, I try more for a thick and most are in that 2" range. I like your idea of just a bit of a zonker coming off the top. I just find that color does much better then going natural. But orange/black, perch, and frog are the colors I stay with. We got a ton of perch in our lake and the smallies feed heavly on it. I've made a few darker colored (blue, silver, black, purple) but have not yet to use them. Dont hurt to have some natural colors around.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Ok so who is tying clousers for the spring fling swap thing???????

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM

not me aroostook. I am sitting this one out.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

GM, try adding a collar of Marabou to the front behind or in front of the eyes. GARTSIDE style. Two or three turns is all you need. Will add some movement and a little belly like a shiner.
Click the image to open in full size.