The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Muddler

Here is my pike sized muddler...lots of flash, hair, and color.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Muddler

the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0527081903a.jpg (46.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 0527081901a.jpg (41.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 0527081900a.jpg (47.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 0527081902.jpg (46.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Are those 8.5 by 11 inch sheets of paper? Just trying to get an idea of the size. And hot long is that tail in the third pict? Also, what size rod to you cast those monsters with? I haven't fished for pike yet.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

They look like tamen flies with salmon hooks....Neat flies....I love your creativity!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Esox, you are a master!

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Nice Tye...looks almost dahlberg!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 PM

As many of you know I modify to my likeing. I used the muddler as a template for these things. The paper is plain tablit and are 4-5 inches. I used 3/0 and 4/0 hooks. Not too big...more for bass actually. I just got back from Canada on a pike fishing adventure. These didnt get too much action. With the set up I use these things sink. I looked around for a pike tippet and didnt like it. I make light weight wire leaders since pike bite through any line I've tried. These things though, tied on a tippet, float very well. For later this year I plan on useing these for bass. They will work so much better on my 5 wt. I plan on trying 5/0 or 6/0 for pike later. More hair.

Jose to answer your question, I got a 9wt with a salt water reel. It is a Cabelas combo. The 9wt was very good for the pike I was getting. Ended with a 39" on it. Was a good fight and took a while to get her in.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

No tease dude...nice flies......modify to your hearts content........we all make it our own way. Glad to see your pics.....thanks for sharing.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-06-2008, 06:36 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Esox, Have you tried using a flourocarbon bite tippet? In my limited ventures into the salt, my buddy had me using that. He says he sets up like that all the time; and has landed quite a few toothy critters. He uses 20# test flouro.

Dan
Old 06-07-2008, 12:04 AM

Huron, thing is I have looked around for a tipet that would work for pike...all are coated wire (that I find up here). IMHO this would put too much weight on the tippet and cause the fly to sink much too quickly. Since I make my own leaders for reglular fishing, I made a bunch for this as well...worked very well. Added very little wight to the fly and let the fly sink on its own then being dragged down. One thing I have found is that too much front weight (with the flies I use) they will tend to bee too nose heavy or drug down by the nose. This on say the fiber minnows I've been making dont look the best. Had only a few fish hit those. I tend to take most of my fish on a maraboo puff ball pattern. Now as far as the tippet you mentioned, I am not 100% on that. Since I get limited info and/or limited items in the stores around here I kinda have to fabricate my own. I've tried things in the past to try and get away from the need of a wire leader for pike. Often one can spend more time changing leaders insted of fishing. Bad thing is, even 80lb Musky Brain (this stuff if thinker then most braids and has more give then other braids) dont stand up to these things. It did for about 10 seconds. Had it on a tip up and managed to get the pike through the ice before the line broke. Needless to say I use some sort of wire leader for pike and musky. The only time I've gotten by with it is on a tandom spinner. The line often never reaches the mouth since they are striking at the back end of the lure. The other part is 99% of the wire leaders out there dont stand up to much more then a few fish...its not that they break but get kinked due to the twisting, spinning, and thrashing of the fish. This trip we had several pike that when going after a spoon, missed it, but hit the leader in front. Not knowing it at the time, we would set the hook and the fish would spinn and wrap the line around but never to be hooked. It's crazy when you bring in a fish that has not been hooked. Now a lot of ocean fish that have teeth tend to have longer ones for holding prey and a wire leader isnt a must. Pike teach are sharp from top to bottom. Now add in the fact that even a small pike could inhail a 4" lure, you end up with a perfect setting for a broken line. You may think that the teeth of a shark or cuda are impressive, a pikes are right up there with them if not worse. Shark and cuda teeth are broader and tend to have a cutting edge, pikes teeth are more rod shapped and very knife like. Knowing this, I had to come up with something that would work. The system I found worked very well even in wind. Though the 9wt is much easier to cast then the 5wt. I know I wish it would be as simple to add a good 20# abrastion resistant line on but even the best monos, floros, and braids out there would fall short...I think maybe a 100lb+ mono may work for a while, but try to tie that on a 1/0 hook