The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Tweaked Canadian Killer, Attractor Fly;

It has been awhile since I stuck anything on here and some of you guys already know I tie and fish big wet flies. Here's another wet fly / streamer. The pattern Canadian Killer has been around since the 1930s and I first found it in "Streamers & Bucktails the Big Fish Flies" by Joseph D. Bates. Yes I have an original print of it, this book was out of print in the early 1990s and I got this copy from a dealer of old books. Since I first saw the Killer and other flat wing streamers I have been tying them and fishing with them. They are good swimmers and remain sturdy even after many fish are caught on them. Red is a good color for fall wherever you have spawning salmon (Great Lakes Region) and brown trout (everywhere) it kinda reminds the fish of roe and is a good attractor color. I have strayed from the original recipe a bit here and made the fly a little longer and sleeker with the length of the materials but it very much resembles its namesake.

The Canadian Killer;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying; it's not as hard as you may think.........

Hook: Alec Jackson 1.5 or smaller
Thread: Black
Tag: Fine oval silver braid
Tail: Small bunch of brown hackle tips
Butt: two strands of peacock herl
Body: Two strand red floss
Hackle: A long red or pink hackle your choice (longer the better)
Ribbing: Fine gold wire or tinsel your choice, I have wire here
Throat: Sparse long reddish black dyed bucktail tied beneath and on the sides of hook
Collar: One and one half turns of brown saddle hackle (same as tail)
Wing: Bronze Mallard tied flat

[Note] Keeping the wing short will avoid it getting wrapped inside the bend of the hook and causing the streamer to swim like a cork screw through the water as you fish it. I have never caught a fish on a cork screwing fly. The long feathers and hair fibers will not interfere with the way the fly swims as a matter of fact they will enhance its motion while in the currents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
That's beautiful, Ard! Any chance you could post a pic from overhead so we could more clearly see the lay of your flat wing?
I can do that, I used to post flies with a 360* series so they could be seen from all angles but thought I was overdoing it a bit. I will show you two ways to achieve a flat mallard or teal wing in the pictures. One way is very sleek and attractive, the other is not so pretty but will take a beating (from fish) and is easier to do.

First the hard way;

What you are seeing are two sections of fibers taken from the flank feather of a mallard duck. The sections are taken one from each side of the plumage and matched for size. Then you separate a section of each feather using a dubbing needle to produce the width that you want for the wing. Once you have cut the feather shaft so that you have created two matching but opposing sections (or slips) of mallard you stack them and very carefully tie them down. If you are familiar with placing wings on feather wing streamers and wet flies this will be easier to adapt to.

Now the easy way;

What you see here is the quick and dirty flat wing that was conceived around 1925 or there abouts for western streamer patterns. This is the original wing dressing for the Canadian Killer and for a fly known as The Dr. Mummy. Both patterns originated in the mid to late 1920s and I know no more than that.

The teal feather you see above was prepared so that I had a nice even specimen to use for the wing. Then after all else was done except the wing I place the bare quill shaft down through the eye of the hook. While holding the feather flat and approximately where I want it I make three very loose turns of thread (one in front of the other) and then allow the bobbin to hang from the eye of the hook. With only the weight of the bobbin on the thread you gently pull the feather stem forward until the wing is situated where and how you want it to set. At this time you snug up the thread and take a few more nice tight turns going forward always to secure the wing / veil in place for good.

I use this technique on the pattern, 'Santiam Spectrum' with dyed mallArd flank and the flies swim perfectly and really will take a beating. I hope all of that will be of some help to you. I am not one for creating step by step slide shows or videos but I am sure that if you search the internet there will be plenty of movies available from professionals. I'm just some guy who ties flies, fishes (occasionally) and belongs to this forum.

Good luck,

ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-21-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add Winging Explaination and pictures;
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tweaked Canadian Killer, Attractor Fly;

Ard: Great looking flat wing, that definitely looks like a winner!

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful-- great looking fly Ard.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks fellas,

I thought it was about time to post a streamer to get people interested in tying this fall / winter. The fly can be called a flat wing or a streamer type. Spey people would call it Spey fly but not that many of us speak spey here so I'll call it a flat wing.

This style of winging is actually easier to learn than getting wings to stand up on traditional feather wing streamers. We'll see how the salmon fly tying thread goes and maybe we can get a feather wing streamer class thread going.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

That's beautiful, Ard! Any chance you could post a pic from overhead so we could more clearly see the lay of your flat wing?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

That's a good looking fly Ard. Well done.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default How to lay a flat wing;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
I can do that, I used to post flies with a 360* series so they could be seen from all angles but thought I was overdoing it a bit. I will show you two ways to achieve a flat mallard or teal wing in the pictures. One way is very sleek and attractive, the other is not so pretty but will take a beating (from fish) and is easier to do.

First the hard way;

What you are seeing are two sections of fibers taken from the flank feather of a mallard duck. The sections are taken one from each side of the plumage and matched for size. Then you separate a section of each feather using a dubbing needle to produce the width that you want for the wing. Once you have cut the feather shaft so that you have created two matching but opposing sections (or slips) of mallard you stack them and very carefully tie them down. If you are familiar with placing wings on feather wing streamers and wet flies this will be easier to adapt to.

Now the easy way;

What you see here is the quick and dirty flat wing that was conceived around 1925 or there abouts for western streamer patterns. This is the original wing dressing for the Canadian Killer and for a fly known as The Dr. Mummy. Both patterns originated in the mid to late 1920s and I know no more than that.

The teal feather you see above was prepared so that I had a nice even specimen to use for the wing. Then after all else was done except the wing I place the bare quill shaft down through the eye of the hook. While holding the feather flat and approximately where I want it I make three very loose turns of thread (one in front of the other) and then allow the bobbin to hang from the eye of the hook. With only the weight of the bobbin on the thread you gently pull the feather stem forward until the wing is situated where and how you want it to set. At this time you snug up the thread and take a few more nice tight turns going forward always to secure the wing / veil in place for good.

I use this technique on the pattern, 'Santiam Spectrum' with dyed mallArd flank and the flies swim perfectly and really will take a beating. I hope all of that will be of some help to you. I am not one for creating step by step slide shows or videos but I am sure that if you search the internet there will be plenty of movies available from professionals. I'm just some guy who ties flies, fishes (occasionally) and belongs to this forum.

Good luck,

ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How to lay a flat wing;

Thanks for the quick follow-up, Ard. Overhead view #1 is what I thought I was seeing in the original photo, but it's a great help to view from above. It's even more graceful than I imagined.

I've not seen a wing tied in the "quick and dirty" method that I can recall, but can imagine the merit of it. I'm putting together a hackle order in the next couple of days and plan to work on this particular fly in both versions. I like it!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Ard very nicely tied

Great job on the wing

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

i just died looking at those flies