The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about
Default Feather wing spey spey tutorial

This is my first attempt at a tutorial, sorry, some of the pictures are a little blurry. If I skipped any step's or needed to explain something better let me know and I'll do what I can to fix the problem or answer your questions. I like the look of this style of fly and fish a lot of them for steelhead.

Hook: Alec Jackson size 3
Tip: Small silver oval tinsel
Tag: Red orange silk floss
Tail: Orange golden pheasant crest
Rib: Medium silver oval tinsel
Body: Back half purple silk floss, Front half Purple seal dubbing.
Hackle: Schlappen
Collar: Natural Guinea hen
Wing: Black Roster cape

I use a light colored thread so when the fly is wet your floss stays the color you want it instead of letting the black hook show through and making the floss look a lot darker. I start the thread above the point of the hook and tie on a small piece of oval tinsel. If you spin the bobbin counter clockwise it will flatten your thread so it goes on a little smother. I wrap back to above where the barb of the hook was to start the tinsel. I use three wraps, one right in front of the next.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tie off the tinsel and wrap your thread to the spot just above the hook point. This tinsel tip keeps the floss from sliding down the hook while you're fishing it. Then tie in the floss for the tag. I like to split the floss in half to avoid bulk.

Wrap the floss to the tinsel tip and then back to where you tied it in.

Next tie in feather from a golden pheasant crest to form the tail. This should end at about the back of the hook. (My crest has been picked through and all the really good feather's are gone. My tail is a little long.) Dont over do it when you tie this stuff in. 3 wraps will do it. Remember, you will be tying over the remaining stem or floss or whatever later and that will secure it for fishing. Right now you just want to hold it in place.

Then tie in your piece of medium tinsel and wrap your thread to the middle of the hook shank. Then tie in your purple floss. I tie off my light colored thread now and tie in the color I want to finish the fly.

Prepare your hackle by striping the left side of the stem. Then to knock down all the barbules holding the fibers together, I wet the feather and pull it through my fingers or lips. The longer you do this the better the hackle gets.

Wrap your floss to where the tail starts and back to where you tied it in. Tie in your hackle at the tip and a new piece of floss. Tie a knot in the bottom of the new piece of floss and split the floss in half. Put your dubbing in between the strands like you would on a dubbing loop. Remember, a little dubbing goes a long way.

Spin the dubbing loop into a brush and wrap it on to the shank stopping about two eye lengths back on the shank.

Wrap your rib forward. 5 wraps is the traditional number of wraps for a rib. Then wrap your hackle following the rib.

Wet your fingers and pinch and pull the hackle to knock it down and get it to where you want it to ride.

Tie in you Guinea hen for the collar. Fold the fibers together and wrap it on. Two turns usually does it. Pinch and shape it to how you want it.

Pull two feathers (4 total) from each side of your roster cape. The feathers that are located where the cape turns have a natural curve to them and work well for this style of wing.

Measure the wing by placing it where you will tie it in. You will want the wing to end where the tip of the tail is. Strip the stems of the feathers below the tie in point.

Line the tips up and put the two feathers on the right side of the cape towards you and the two from the left side of the cape facing away from you. Pinch the feathers together just above the tie in point and put the stems through the eye of the hook.

Continuing to pinch the feathers together, tie them onto the hook. Don't let go until you have it tied down well.

Push the stems back through the eye and clip them off.

Build up your head, whip finish, head cement and Wa-La! Your fly is complete.

Good luck tying.

Last edited by wovenstonefly; 10-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Feather wing spey spey tutorial

Very nicely done

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That is a very (and I'll say that twice) Very beautiful job of dressing a hook! Between your participation here and Allan's' Tie Along thread I am looking forward to becoming better at making fishing flies. Compared to the polished and meticulous methods you guys are demonstrating my style is at best somewhat crude.

Once more: Beautiful job of dressing a hook,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Super job wovenstonefly--- excellent detailed instructions and pics--- and outstanding tie. Beautiful job.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great job Woven...Beautiful fly, almost a shame to fish it...I said almost...

Dan
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, is that a nice looking fly, great job! Congrats!

Larry
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it. My buddy just called me to make fun of the picture where my hand is pointing to the cape. Once I looked at it again I realized it is a dumb looking picture and I should have done something else. Oh well, If I ever do one again I'll be sure not to have any pointing fingers
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

No way!!! Always add the point!!!It reminded me of the old stop motion shorts on Nickelodeon!! Beauty! Definetly helped me set my wings better.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice job! Great fly too.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Excellent tie and tutorial. thank you very much! I'm sure learning alot working along through this tie along. Great stuff!!