The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Wingless Wonder / Inspired by the Spider Flies;

I have been seeing flies for trout, salmon and steelhead called the Spider for quite a while now and have never ventured into tying or fishing them. This is as close as I have came and will make up a few in different colors and see what they do. The Spider style is now popular with fish and fishermen from coast to coast.

Wingless Wonder in Purple;

I stuck the second picture here to demonstrate the gob of dubbing behind the hackles and collar. The idea is for the wide thorax to hold the feathers out a bit while the fly is traveling through the water. This is not a pattern I will fish in really swift currents. It will be a fly for long slow moving pools and runs.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tying:

This one is tied to a Partridge size 4 hook. How you make one is really a matter of choice and is dependent on what materials you have on hand to create a fly with long flowing hackles. If you choose marabou try to keep it sparse.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 09-25-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wingless Wonder / Inspired by the Intruder Flies;

Beautiful fly Ard, but no where near a 'Intruder.' Or as they're also called :' A dead Chicken with a hook up its butt.'

Not my style of fishing (fly) but: Yahoo! Video Detail for Intruder Tube Fly Underwater

These things are typically the size of ... what? Ah, a dead Chicken.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was inspired by spiders? Yeah, that's the ticket, Spiders, I went back and corrected that. I have never seen an Intruder fly in person and should think before I speak

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wingless Wonder / Inspired by the Spider Flies;

Beautifully tied Ard! whats the red tail w/black tip.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful Ard--

There's something about that fly--- all i can think to say is .......
--- everything that doesn't belong isn't there.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:37 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

that's a sweet tie ard
Old 09-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
Beautifully tied Ard! whats the red tail w/black tip.
Hi Jonathan,

Amherst Pheasant crest, glad you guys liked the way I spent time during a storm. Sooner or later I'll let you know how they work.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-25-2010, 02:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Maybe it was inspired by spiders? Yeah, that's the ticket, Spiders, I went back and corrected that. I have never seen an Intruder fly in person and should think before I speak

Not to worry, Spiders it is. If/when you see an Intruder you'll know it. Most are huge in size and have the the largest lead 'dumbell eyes' you can buy strapped on. Not sure if it was a "Chicken and Egg" sort of thing, but the same folks developed these as the Skagit lines. Takes a lot of 'grain mass' to chuck one of these buggers.

fae
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't know Fred it looks like a spider and an intruder mingled in the Wheatly and spawned this fella. Its has the profile attributes of the intruder to an extent like an intruder on a diet. Any way you want to slice it, its fishy!!! I'de give it a swing in a nice slow dam pool after the rain and flow settled or swim it though a boulder garden.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Indeed WB, indeed. I can see that fly, summer or winter, working off the end of a full sunk spey line to get her deep, down and dirty. Flat to the current that Puppy would have a heck of a profile and be darned easier to cast than a full on heavily weighted Intruder done on a 45-55 mm Waddington Shank.

fae