The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perch tutorial

THE PERCH

HOOK: Streamer #4
THREAD: Black
UNDER BODY: Perch Flashabou
TAIL: Yellow Mallard (4)
BODY: Green Guinea
GILLS: Red Pheasant
FIN: Peacock Sword
EYES: Small Red Stick-On
Plus Sally Hansen Hard As Nail polish

MATERIAL:

Click the image to open in full size.

Start thread at front of hook:

Attach several strands of Perch Flashabou. I fold it over to double. Again, toward the front of hook:

Attach first set of mallard feathers, favoring the bottom portion more. One on each side of hook:

Next Attach second set of Mallard, favoring top portion, One on each side of hook:

Now, attach Guinea. Try to match size, print, and shape on these. One on each side of hook:

Ont the gills, I found that by putting a light coat of Sally Hansen Nail Polish to the feather, it holds it's shape better and is easier to work with. Plus, helps to make the fly a little stronger:

When dry, attach the Gills to each side of hook right behind the eye of the hook and towards the bottom of the hook:

Next, take 4 or 5 Peacock Swords, but be careful to try to keep all curving in the same direction. This can be tricky. Attach them just behind the eye of the hook on the top of the hook:

Finally, stick the eyes on. I use the vein of the guinea feather to line them up evenly:

Lastly, an option, I put a thin coat of Sally Hansen Hard as Nail Polish on the thread at the eye of the hook and stroke it back onto the guinea and the eyes. Just to make the fly more durable.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perch tutorial

Pretty fly!

What do you catch with it?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

Very nice tutorial. If you don't mind I will post it in the FAQ Fly Tying section after the post has run its course.

Frank
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Joni, That is a good looking fly!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM

smith950 is on a distinguished road

Joni,

Good looking fly. Great tutorial. Thanks

Scott
Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

awsome looking fly joni! I need to tie me up some more flies. ain't tied anything cause I have had 4 full fly boxes but I need to get at it anyways.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

This thing kicked hinde end on the Bass at Rockport, but the perch also hit it.