The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly from trash materials

Sea trout fly with back from the magnetic inner-disk from a old 3,5" floppy disk.

Last edited by tob1; 08-07-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:53 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly from trash materials

Very nice looking fly actually. Looks like it could shine a bit and that would attract a few preditor fish. I myself have looked for "other" things I could use on flies. Mostly stuffs that are found in craft stores and not really found in a fly shop. Fibers from old torn rags, colored wing feathers, and a few beads for eyes. I know I've looked at things and have asked can it be used. Mostly though I end up using the unused stuffs from other flies. Some look like garble and would prob not work too well for trout but hey some fish out there would hit it. I'll have to look into the disk idea since I've been looking for somthing that has a lot of shine, almost mirror like, but would hold up when tied. Good idea.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:47 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

Mayflies with twisted body: cellfoam from the package around the PCmonitor and antron yarn.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:15 PM

StoneFly with wings from packaging ribbon.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road

I don't have any pictures, but I've used the "grass" that fills up Easter baskets to make flashback nymphs (looks best on pheasant tails, I think).
Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

My wife hates it when I start looking around for trash to tie with. I have a pretty good collection of materials that i have found at the thift store (antron from old lamps, etc.) I collect the hair from the dog brush. We have a grey mini schuezer(spelling?) and a tan pug. The pug hair works great for elk hair caddis. I've saved ear plugs from the shop floor where I work. I've cut the clear plastic bags that material comes in for back flash for scuds. I've found that you can use almost anything.

John
Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Some left over antron yarn furled with 3 strands flash.
Hook: Knapek #16
Trygve
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM

One more fly with wings from the packaging ribbon,
Housefly

Body - sparkle yarn twisted with peacock herl.
Trygve
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

I collect feathers from my pet Lovebirds; yellow foam trays used fresh meats from supermarkets (there are high bouyancy); chain links from old lamps; Crosstitch yarns threads; down feathers that slipping out from winter jackets.. lol; caulk backing foam strip;