The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default some flies for rainbows

Nameless

Hook- 4
Tag- silver
Rib- gold flat, crossed with gold oval then follow the oval with hackle
Body- flat silver, front 1/3 hare fur blended with slf
Collar- cochybonndhu, with golden peasant tail fibers (the centre 2 at a time, and the red outer 4 at a time)
Throat vealing- green neck feathers of a ring neck cock
Wing- ring neck head feather (with white tip) over golden pheasant tippets over jungle cock nails
Topping- golden pheasant crest
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

And a basic one

Hook- 4
Tag- gold
Body- silver flat, front 1/3 scarlet red dubbing
Rib- gold oval
First hackle- gallina fowl in front of a red dubbing ball
Throat- pink turkey
Head- black

Click the image to open in full size.

The basic one I have done a few colours and 3 of each
this will be the first time I have gone after rainbows (I have only ever caught browns and perch).

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some flies for rainbows

Chris: Nice looking flies! Not a bad problem to have in only catching Browns!
Good luck with the rainbows.

Larry
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chris,

I like number one moving fast and number two moving slow in slow current. Nice tying,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,

Nice wing on fly #1!

I've never thought of using Ringneck Pheasant in place of, for example, a smaller Jungle Cock nail. I like the effect; it's softer and works very well down low near the collar. I've seen barred Wood Duck used that way, but never the pheasant. Very creative tie.

Go get some Rainbows and let us know how those flies work out for you on the water.

Good luck!

Pocono
Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks all

I will post some pics whether the river is fishable or not (Im doing some hunting in the area and didnt think to check if the river was open or not untill now), it may be full of alpine melt from the report it is still high but who knows in a few weeks as ill be close to the head waters.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's right, I forgot, it's springtime down there! It is getting colder here, the gravy train is coming to an end.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Beautiful flies.
You've got a rare one having cochybonndhu. That and cree are getting hard to find (or expensive). Do you have a source there?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:48 PM

The cree/honey grizzle I get from my local fly store ($14 nzd for a bag of strung feathers for streamers, wets and lures) not all the feathers are suitable in colour its a bit like a luckey dip.

Nothing for the cochybondhu tho, this was extracted from a rooster I found on a farm

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite