The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 02:01 PM

dryfly purist is on a distinguished road
Default Gary L. Fontaine sparkle puppae

This is a couple of variations over Gary La Fontaine`s sparkle puppae.

Terje!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gary La Fontaine sparkle puppae-1.jpg (110.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg GLF puppae.jpg (99.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gary L. Fontaine sparkle puppae

Very nice! CDC on the second? Is the squigglies CDC or zelon/antron?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Very nice! CDC on the second? Is the squigglies CDC or zelon/antron?
Hi Joni!
Thank`s a lot.
Cdc in front and antron as squigglies

Terje!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda funny however, your name is DRY FLY PURIST, but you post about an emerging nymph ;-)
Old 09-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Kinda funny however, your name is DRY FLY PURIST, but you post about an emerging nymph ;-)
oh no no no no......that`s the floating version......... and therefore definately a dry fly......and should it sink it would be a disaster for me
Old 09-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Now that there is funny stuff, thanks for making me smile today.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

But La'Fontaine's fly shoild sink...not float...they were made to sink slow or faster depending upon the weight...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Lafontaine's fly will float if greased, sink super slowly if not.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Didn't mean to stir any pots on this one, just that in the past I have talked to guys that swear they are old school (which to me would be wets) and strictly dries only to find out they nymph during run off.
No need to BS about flies, save it for size and numbers LOL
No slam to you, PURIST by any means, my friend. Lord knows if I could get by with nothing but dries I would for sure. Definitely the Hi Point to ff.

Anyway, this fly is one of the first flies I learned to tie, and I agree, it will work just about anytime, anywhere, and anyhow.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Lafontaine's fly will float if greased, sink super slowly if not.
Absolutely correct.......and that`s why my two versions, one with cdc in front and the other with plenty of deer hair will be floating and of course i would use some kind of grease to make it float......... as long as i can see the fly on top of the water it works for me

Joni:
Quote:
No slam to you, PURIST by any means, my friend. Lord knows if I could get by with nothing but dries I would for sure. Definitely the Hi Point to ff.
None taken........ but i`m in a position that i can use dry flies all summer and if the trout should not rise i periods, i`ll do something else

Terje!