Split case PMD

futuramille

Reaction score
Here's the latest one for the Fall Nymph Swap.

Split Case PMD

Hook Mustad #12
Thread - 6/0 Danville Flymaster Dark Olive
Tail - Golden Pheasant flank
Rib - UTC (SM) Ultra Wire - brown
Body - Waspi Antron - Dark Stone
Thorax - Waspi Antron - Dark Stone
Legs - Mallard Flank
Case - Black Goose Biot/Yellow craft foam

Golden Pheasant Flank is worth 100X its weight in gold. perfect for many different tails...I love the stuff.

Angle the goose biots so they will wrap over from the sides and cross just behind the eye.

Tie in the foam and dub the thorax before adding the legs.

Tying in the legs and pulling over the yellow foam is a two handed flow of steps with no opportunity to stop and take pictures. Holding the legs in place, make one wrap over them, pull the foam over and secure with two wraps before letting go of legs. This cuts down on wraps and helps keep the head from getting thick or crowded as you still have the goose biots to secure. the two wraps over the foam can be fairly loose so you can pull the legs shorter which not only straightens them but usually splays them out at the sides better. once legs are set, add one more tight wrap. Trim the foam and then trim the mallard flank.

Pull the Biots over one at a time the first gets one wrap to hold it. Each biot should cross over the hook shank just behind the eye.

Trim the goose biots CLOSE and form the head starting just behind the eye and working toward the thorax....Whip finish and varnish (SHHAN)

I fish it dead drift as a dropper / trailing fly (long line or short line nymphing techniques)

Mallard flank can be used for the tail as well as the legs. If lighter brown dubbing is used for body, stripped peacock herl makes a good ribbing and I've had about the same number of hits on both types. Yellow foam definitely works best. Loose the lead and it makes a good emerger pattern with the antron and foam. It doesn't float per se but it will stay in the top few inches of the water column

tight lines

Jackster

Reaction score
Go ahead... make my day!

I think you know a place in E. TN where these things work like a champ!
I always wondered how to tie them... thanks a bunch for the demo!

futuramille

Reaction score
Thanks guys...and yes, it works well on a particular east Tenn/Georgia/Carolina river.

the reason for the wrap counts and sparse tie instructions is that this fly is usually tied in size 16. I carry size 12/15/17 (I use vintage Mustad hooks in off sizes) and in the smaller sizes I have to pay attention to bulk and such.

the swap participants will recieve one in each size above. For size 15 and 17 I use different ingredients. The tails are Mallard as well as the legs, the dubbing is beaver and the rib is stripped peacock herl. the tying instructions still stand though.

In size 12, this pattern works as an ISO nymph but I substitue mottled hen for legs and tail...the darker Antron is a nice warm deep purplish color. Anyway's, the split case seems to be a trigger.

In any case, the split case can be used for BWO, PMD, ISO nymphs.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Great step by step and beautiful tying. Really nice job!