The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Split case ISO

In my split case PMD thread I mentioned the ISO being another good split case nymph...

here's my version of the ISO and it works well here for me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hook #12
Thread 6/0 black
Tail - pheasant flank
flashback - purple metalic flashaboo
Rib - ultra fine black wire
Body - waspi antron ;dark stone
Thorax - waspi antron ;dark stone
wing case - black goose biot & purple foam
Legs - Golden Pheasant shoulder

The Golden Pheasant shoulder feather is a really cool blue'ish purple and with the purple flashaboo flashback and foam split case its a pretty good color mix. I tie it also in a green and the pheasant flank tail looks better with that but the fish don't seem to mind and this purple attracted better with both color combo's fished in the same cast of flies.

Click the image to open in full size.

Edit: forgot to mention how I fish it....
I tie two on about 16" apart and quarter cast...dead drift with lesinring lift and then strip back in 6" strips. These little guys are swimmers and its the stripped retrieve that best immitates the nymph. I can cover alot of water and its a fast stripping retrieve with some dead drift pauses thrown in. Deadly this time of year around here.

Last edited by futuramille; 10-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Split case ISO

Nice tie!

Sized and colored correctly, that fly can represent a bunch of different mayflies. Here are some examples:

Split Case PMD: 14 to 20, brown with yellow foam
Split Case BWO: 16 to 22, brown/olive with olive foam
Split Case Green Drake: 8 to 10 cream/olive with green foam
Split Case March Brown: 10 to 12 brown with grey foam

The Split Case ISO with a picked out overdubbed abdomen could make a good Isonychia mayfly imitation. Purple dubbing mixed in with the dark stone dubbing would make for a good color match.

MP
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

What an awesome looking fly, and great tie JJ. They look great in pics. Imagine they are unreal in person.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Yea Jimmy, My camera doesn't do the color justice but its a shiney colorful little bug for sure.

MP, thanks for the size and foam color details. Again, my camera doesn't do the dubbing justice as its a dark redish purple. On the rivers here, the Iso is deep dark..almost black and the stripe up the back is more greenish tan than purple looking.

its certainly cool how different ingredients can be used for the same fly with equal success...also excellent to note that the same bug differs from place to place in size and base color.