The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Low water ties

It what brought up on another forum about the difference between a low water tie and a low water fly. I took it a step furthor just for fun. These are tied on #10's.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low water ties

wt bash: Those flies are gorgeous, congrats on tying some great looking flies!
Thanks for sharing! You might provide a materials list so Mark can insert it into the fly pattern directory.

Larry
Old 10-24-2010, 01:05 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

From explanations in that thread I understand the difference now and the reasoning for smaller flies in low/slow water, but why smaller ties on big hooks?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
From explanations in that thread I understand the difference now and the reasoning for smaller flies in low/slow water, but why smaller ties on big hooks?
Not to sound silly, but more 'steel' can add a lot to the hooking ability of the fly. Or in this case (being the tie was on a number 10 hook) not fill the gap between the shank and hook point. Wider the gap, the higher the probability of penetration ... even if it's only in the lip flesh.

Just my personal observation(s).
fae
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Fred hit the nail on the head, I've also read that with more steel exsposed it acts as a keel to keep the fly swimming. Plus steelhead and trout alike are tail nippers, by keeping all the materials in front of the hook point the fish nips at the "tail" and finds my hook point. The materials are literally all the stuff that ends up on the floor. Opal tinsel tag, G.P. crest or yellow hackle tip tail, flo orange butt, silver tinsel rib, rust dubbed body, wing is olive and black barred rabbit with an olive collar.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for posting these, WT! I'll be adding several to the box this week.

the764