The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default smart minnow

seen this recipe and just got to get some craft fur to make it. I think it looks way better than a clouser. I wonder if the fish would care tho?Smartt Minnow Fly Fishing Pattern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b5e52309-fff8-4bc7-9066-37b765048761.jpg (86.5 KB, 47 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: smart minnow

I wonder what Bob Clouser would think? lol.

How ya doin Mcfly?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

The recipe calls for Gel Super Glue to form the head. It seems to me that Tob1's method of using hot glue would be a better choice. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to a tutorial.

Frank
Old 11-16-2008, 07:02 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

1--- i use thinned goop instead.

2--- I don't comb the clumps but pull them apart by holding the tips and pulling on butt end of fur. Then do it again with the shorter clumps you can get some nice material for bonefish flies that way..try it..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Sandfly,

1--- i use thinned goop instead.

Doesn't Goop take a while to dry? What do you thin it with? What type of Goop do you use?

Frank

Old 11-16-2008, 01:18 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
seen this recipe and just got to get some craft fur to make it. I think it looks way better than a clouser. I wonder if the fish would care tho?Smartt Minnow Fly Fishing Pattern
I doing pretty good. I said I thought it looked better than the clouser. never said it fished better than one tho. haha. sorry Bob. lol. I think maybe its just the eyes that gave it a better look. I might have to stick with clousers tho. they have the beadchain or dumbell eyes to get the minnow down. this might only work in low flows around here unless you weighted the hook shank somehow or used some sinking line which we don't use cause the rivers not deep enough.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road

Hey McFly,
Those are real similar to my minnow and shiner patterns with the stuck on eyes and all. Mine are made out of Maribou and look just like yours when wet. Like I said before, they swim and look tasty in the water but so far no luck with Steelhead. I'm not using them anymore till the summer for some warm water Perch, Bluegill and Bass fishing. They worked awesome last summer in the lake! Probably should have put some lead wire on them for the Steelies.

<((((~{
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM

I haven't made any of these yet. I am waiting on the craft fur. I got to go to the craft store to get some. I bet they will work great in the spring and summer on some bass tho!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM

got that craft fur from the local craft store for only $1.67!! it comes with fur on the front and back! lots of fur for a great price!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31238.JPG (79.8 KB, 22 views)

Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

not on front and back just opens up to full size, i buy it and die it. I use household goop (any will work) and thin with tolylene. i cover my fun fur minnows with it all the way to the bend..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flies 040_thumb_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB, 23 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..