A Couple More;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 1220

View attachment 1221

I'm not yet sure of the order in which the patterns will be displayed so I will describe these two.

The streamer having the barred rock wing with half its fibers stripped away is, "The Grizzly Prince"; The grey olive streamer showing the bright red wool butt / tail is "The Supervisor"

These are both flies originated in Main and I'm sure you already know or will soon learn their history. The two flies shown here have been in one of my wallets for at least twenty five years. I used to fish the lakes and rivers of Maine often and fell in love with the beautiful flies from the region.

Time to expand your materials selection and get to the vise?

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Hardyreels,

Thanks for the nice looking flies. Take a look in the Fly Tying FAQ forum. You will find a bunch of flies from the North East. Go half way down the page and you should see some flies you recognize.

Frank

Snaggy

Reaction score
Wow, I'm inspired. I've "mastered" the wooly bugger and egg pattern so not to jump up a bunch of notches I'll continue with my nymphs and once those are getting better I'm taking a leap into classic fly tying. Those look really really intricate so I'll be asking for pointers here and there. My first would be material and hook selection. Seems the hooks are 4X or more? I don't even know if my shop here has feathers like the ones pictured. What the hell is Jungle Cock? Well, hopefully I'll be on this forum years from now showing off some flies like the ones I've seen from a few different members. Really impressive.

Darin (this is my real name)
<°((((~{

Somebody mentioned models on another thread. Still doing that, too.
Working on an old 1930's DC-3 airliner.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Snaggy

I know what you are saying, some of these members are really impressive fly tiers.
Here is a photo of a Jungle Cock cape.

Larry

Attachments

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Darin,

You will be able to get all the help I can offer to you. I have been doing the classic featherwing's since the early seventies and was guided along by C.W. (Bill) O'Connor. Bill was kind enough to help me learn and I will do my level best to assist anyone who wishes to learn some of the techniques needed to build a well balanced fly. It helps if they fish as good as they look.

Regards,

Ard

Snaggy

Reaction score
You can call me "Grasshopper", Ard.
Thanks for the pics and pricing guys.

<°((((~{

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few (show capes) from the days prior to import restrictions (circa 1960-70) that are extremely dense and have no split nails. These would sell for $300 / cape!

Now that's expensive, I paid $125 each for them in the early 70's and have only used one. The domestic capes are suitable for "working class" flies and if you are watchful you can build quite a supply without breaking the bank. I keep nine or ten so that I don't have to worry about using it.

I buy from a fellow in the UK. and pay $45 per skin. They are good fishing quality feathers and nails.