The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Winter time patterns?

I would like some idea's for some pattern's used in the winter time that I could tie. These pattern's need to be somewhat easy. I am helping people who have just gotten into tying. I need idea's for different patterns. Does anyone have any suggestions? I
Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Winter time patterns?

Hi,

Are you already tying Woolly Buggers? Lots of color combinations possible. The Hornberg is an easy pattern to tie, do you have a book that lists traditional streamer patterns?

Ard
Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Wooly Buggers are great. Other winter flies that are easy are midge adults. I don't know the name of the pattern but it is as simple as a black tapered thread body and z-lon wings tied in. Put a tail or two or a trailing shuck if you want to get creative. Size 18 or 20 where I live.

Bead head hares ear nymphs and pt nymphs are always productive and easy to tie.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Ya, we are past the wooly bugger stage. Some of the people are farther than others. I think I will try some emerger patterns. We have done copperjohns and pheasant tail nymphs. Good idea with the streamers. Thank you.