The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Single Egg Blood Dot

GMF,

You would be surprised what you can get on a hook. What is a clown egg? I used to tie a three colored job when I was on the egg diet. Eventually I went to all bunny fur comets in all sizes and colors unless I actually saw an egg eating fish.

Guess I should say a fish eating eggs huh? Funny thing the way we all go through the phases of the Salmon Steelhead thing. You gotta try it all till ya find what really works for you. We all want to be the guy that the other fishermen talk about when they stop for beers at the end of the day. You know what I mean, when you say to your buddy, "I don't know what that guy upstream was using but every time I looked up there he had one on".

You know what I mean right? Keep tying and find your fly and your style, I did it and some times I'm that guy, some days it will be you. It is like becoming a Jedi Luke, study, study, practice and practice.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

the force of the egg is with me! I have never caught a steelie on a egg yet tho... I think
I need to understand split shot more to get the eggs down to the depth of say 3-6 feet. I think great lakes steelies are a lil different than alaska steelies and salmon. they don't come from the oceanand instead they basically like to eat nymphs like a hares ear,stonefliy,egg,and baitfish like clousers and buggers. I make some bunny leeches also. gotta love um! but I don't make the leeches in crazy colors. just black, olive and, white. no salmon spawn and die around here so I don't think flesh flies will work or comets?? never tried those colors tho. might have to make some pink or orange bunnies up if i can get some of those color strips.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I grew up in North Central Pennsylvania. It is all about adjusting the weight to the depth and flow speed then casting to the right spot upstream so that the egg gets to the fish at just the right moment.

Getting the cast so that you don't go past the fish or come up short. You will get it right with practice. This is a case where you almost gotta see the fish either that or you gotta go with the High stick technique and feel that tic tic tic of your weight on the bottom. When you feel that you know you are in the strike zone.

I think the big difference between the sea run fish here and the lake run there is that these guys tend to be a bit more aggressive. They will often pursue a fly where back there you gotta dam near put it in their mouths. That's how Sockeye can be here, hard to get them on the hook. If I'm gonna foul hook a fish it is most often a Sockeye because I'm dead drifting right into them and when I feel a bump I give it a twitch. I end up with a lot of fish hooked under the lower jaw some days.

Fish on Dude..........
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I will try to bounce the bottom like I have before. have heard that before many times. so let me get this straight. say the waters 4 feet deep. I should have my indicator about 4-5 feet from my split shot and my split shot about 10 inches above the fly or so? I only tried splitshot a few times and once was in a creek instead of the river. caught chubs and thats it. I have fished beadhead nymphs under a indicator and had luck but never a steelie.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.