The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wet flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood View Post
So, I've attached two wet pictures as well, since that's how they look under water!

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what the trout are thinking they're eating, but they do like 'em!

....Enjoy!
That's really not how those flies look under water, at all. The soft-hackle fibers undulate and move around like the legs of an insect. Tie one on to a tippet or piece of thread and drop it into a clear glass of water. Move it around and you'll see what I'm talking about.

While you're at it, try it with a fly made from a rabbit strip, and with marabou. Those two materials produce an amazing amount of movement as well.

(I used to have a pet turtle and the filter in the tank produced a current that was real handy to check out the movement of flies.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish wet flies quite a bit. It's the way I learned to fish when I was a kid
We used the traditional winged wets like the lead winged coachman, black gnat, and the dark cahill, among others
Except for those three and maybe a few more, nowadays it's all soft hackles for me. They're easier to tie and just as effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff
That's really not how those flies look under water, at all. The soft-hackle fibers undulate and move around like the legs of an insect. Tie one on to a tippet or piece of thread and drop it into a clear glass of water. Move it around and you'll see what I'm talking about.
When you choose the hackle for a 'soft hackle' you need to keep in mind the type of water you'll be fishing it in.
In slower streams you'd pick a true 'soft hackle' like gamebird hackle that would undulate as BigCliff describes.
In faster water such hackle would collapse as shown in Greenwood's photos
Faster water calls for stiffer hackles. I'd choose a rooster hackle such as you might get from an India neck for the faster water flies
Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

greenwood,
That's a nice tye up! Soft hackles are my go to fly. Hackles are done with gamebirds, snipe, and starling.
Auntie
Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Wow thanks for all the info, all the years I have fly fished and I just started getting into wets this year, never knew there wasso much involved in them.
keep catching 'em
Bear
Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Greenwood...I got to tie some of them up!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback; soft-hackles are my go to fly when I'm not exactly sure where to start. And, sometimes I end up using them all day long. They're also the fly I'll usually recommend to someone who's new to the sport and along for a days fishing. I don't think you can fish them 'wrong'! Up stream with mends, dead drift, swing, slow lift even slither them into those hard to reach places. They just work!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Greenwood ... try tying up some in purple or blue with a collar of starling (tie VERY spare). You'll be absolutely amazed in the results!!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Hi Auntie Em; purple or blue - o.k. - what do you use for the abdomen and thorax material (dubbing, thread, or something else); (I already have the starling). And, are there any hook sizes that you think are best? It would seem that with starling, you're talking about smaller stuff. - Thanks in Advance-
Old 12-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Not TOO small! Usually a 14 or 16, finished with blue or purple silk (or uni-stretch!), and maybe some mole for a thorax (don't need to but it looks good!), and a collar of starling, from the back, stripped on one side, and wrapped 2 times. Incredibly easy and amazingly effective! Keep the body fairly thin/sparce, and short.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Never tried the BLUE, but other flies I have in BLUE (Chironomid and Pupa) are awesome.
PURPLE, one color that is over looked. It is killer. I tied purple softhackles and cripples for the mountain rivers and lakes....they love it.
At Henry's lake been many a fish caught on Purple Showgirl and Black/Purple Softhackle.
I usually make the bodies out of Purple thread or floss with a black thread thorax.