The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Wet flies

Hey, I have been tying all day and alot of the flies have been wets, red ass's, orange and partridge, and and all red bodie with a small ball of olive green ice dub and partridge.
I was just wondering what colors some of you use. I have seen several colors but I think, like bass lures and stuff that some colors catch more fisherman then fish.
Keep them lines tight
Bear
Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wet flies

For ME wet flies are Royal Coachman and similar patterns and soft hackles. With Pheasant tails, ORANGE, Olive, Gray, and Black being the colors for them and size 18 to 22.

I target Trout.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

try a all black body or peacock herl body and black partridge hackle. that should imitate plenty of kinds of insects. gnats,spiders,flies,some kind of nymphs,insects whos names you don't even know that just drowned etc.lol. add some black or peacock ice dubbing for the thorax even maybe? I am gonna make up some for this summer and swing um and see what happens. I also tied a partridge and orange for a swap here and people say they caught trout on it and around here I caught bluegills on it also. try to make basic colors like black, brown, and olive. most bugs are that color anyways.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I'll be the first to admit that I carry way too many soft hackles; but I love fishing them. I go along with Joni and George......I carry browns, grays, olives, yellows and tiny blacks (18's and 20's) that I use for point flies. But, I've had a lot of success with a soft hackle tied as follows: size 14 or 16 3906B hook; florescent orange thread; tag formed with same thread; turkey biot in blue quill (or adams grey) color; black ostrich hurl thorax and medium dun hen hackle with the same thread on the head. It has worked really well in faster water, fished in traditional wet style manner. I don't know exactly what they take it for and I don't really care, but it has worked great!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Greenwood, you got a picture of that fly. It sounds interesting, and I happen to have all the ingredients.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:36 AM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I don't have a picture now but I'll work on it tomorrow! The weather is really nasty here tonight so I don't think I'll be going anywhere in the morning. I'll tie up a 'fresh' one (one that's not used and all chewed up), photograph it and try to figure out how to post it! Posting pictures on this forum is my short-coming. .....and I'm not gonna' even blame it on taking Maggie outside to do her business! LOL!

I 'think' it's the fly I submitted to the Spring Fling fly swap.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

basically take a pic, plug in your camera to the computer. post here and write what you want then under the box you write in is a thing that says manage attachments. just click that and a box will pop up that says browse,browse,browse,upload. click browse and find your pics thats on your camera or saved on your computer and click it. then click upload. you can put 3 pix at a time there but make sure you hit upload. then click submit reply like usual and pictures should show up! hopefully.... lol.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Cool, I'll play with some of those idea's. All the flies I tied yesterday are for trout here on the Little red. The redass is a red tag with a peacock hurl bodie and partridge hackle.
The one I do for gills has a yellow bodey with black ribbing and partridge.
thanks for the input guys and gals
Bear
Old 12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You can also use wrapped wire for the abdomen or the whole body to make a deeper running fly. I have good luck using winged soft hackles.

I'll frequently use a peacock sword wing over a herl body. Another is antron over a partridge hackle fiber wing, in the style of LaFontaine's Diving Caddis. I realize that guy knew tons more about fishing than I do, but I think the Diving Caddis tied with soft hackle instead of dry fly hackle is about the greatest fly ever for bug eating fish. LaFontaine Private Label - Diving Caddis

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi Joni-
I'm attempting to attach a few pics of this fly. I realized when I started tying it that I switch from flo-orange thread to black before I get to the thorax and head. ....but that's no biggie there.

I personally think soft-hackles are gorgeous when dry BUT the fish see them slicked back and wet of course. So, I've attached two wet pictures as well, since that's how they look under water!

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what the trout are thinking they're eating, but they do like 'em!

This was one of those February late night creations. A little brandy caused me to consider shape and color scheme more than imitation!

flo-orange tag and underbody; blue dun dyed turkey quill; black ostrich herl thorax and a medium dun hen hackle with one side stripped and tied sparse. I want those underworkings to show through when they're wet. Too much hackle just covers them up!

This is a size 16 3906B hook and is the main size I use it in. ....Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dry1.jpg (10.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg wet1.jpg (10.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wet2.jpg (13.0 KB, 12 views)