The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default olive elk hair caddis.

plannign a trip in the spring for brown trout and the river we are going to has caddis flies all year long supposedly. says in olives, caddis green, owns and tans. tried my luck at a olive one today after watching a vid on youtube. I don't think its thoo bad for my 1st but I will try to make um better next time. keep ya posted with more pix!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31502.JPG (79.9 KB, 48 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: olive elk hair caddis.

Great tie. One question, the wire you used seems a little large. I am only saying it because wire will add weight. On dries I prefer thread for ribbing and support. I have used ULTRA WIRE in XS on smaller dries.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

this is utc ultra wire. not sure the size. says br on it. is that brassie. only size I got. wonder if it will matter. I will try it out and see it if floats. I will try thread next time thanks joni!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know, it is a good looking fly. What dubbing? Good color!

Maybe we can get a caddis swap going before you leave, so you will have a bunch of new ones to try!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good looking caddis!
Below is a caddis I spotted on the web that uses a material called Widows Web by the Montana Fly Company. I ordered some of that material and will give that a try once the material gets here.

Hook: TMC 100, size 10-16
Thread: 8/0 Brown
Body: Golden Brown Ice Dub
Wing: Golden Brown Montana Fly Company Widow's Web
Hackle: Brown

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice_caddis.jpg (17.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 PM

I feel A CADDIS SWAP in the near future!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM

wow thats a awesome caddis pattern! ya we might have to do that swap! I used olive dry fly dubbing for mine. am gonna use brown too.. might also try some caddis green ice dubbing also but not sure if thats just for nymphs or what. wonder if it will float or make it sink.. could you substitute elk for moose? I have some of that too. maybe make a black caddis! for now on I will use thread for the rib and I found some super thin copper wire from a pack I got when I 1st started tying. I also need to get a better tapered body next time. gonna use them for the outing but also theres these small moths on my river. I don't know what the insect it is but it basically looks like a regular moth to me. anyways we have them around here and these match perfectly with them. this summer I seen bass murder some moths on my river! just hit um before they hit the water!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Don't forget they make oval tinsel. In silver and gold and I bet copper. That stuff is awesome! Stronger than thread plus a little bling bling like the wire.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I want in on that Caddis swap!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 PM

maybe the wire is heavey. if it I toss it in my sink if floats. but after about 20-30 seconds it sinks. I was also spashing around in the sink to simulate rapids. needs more wrps next tiem and also no wire. only thread or tinsel only. I will hit up the craft store asap