The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Share Patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/)
-   -   Coffee Bean Beetle (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/7008-coffee-bean-beetle.html)

jclampwork88 12-23-2008 03:55 PM

Coffee Bean Beetle

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone used a food product for a fly? I thought I would share a pattern that I am tying currently for a swap. It is call the Coffee Bean Beetle. It has been around for a while as a joke, but it really works for Bluegill and other still waters. I heard of it from Anthony Spezio in one of his DVDs that he has for sale. I have come to know him from another forum and he is a great person and tyer.
So the question is what food products have you used on a fly?

John

tgoodwater2002 12-24-2008 08:14 AM

Re: Coffee Bean Beetle

I know a guy that used a pumpkin seed this last october to make a crab pattern. It was really cool. I wish I had a pic for you.

jclampwork88 12-24-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 (Post 42377)
I know a guy that used a pumpkin seed this last october to make a crab pattern. It was really cool. I wish I had a pic for you.

Interesting, did he try fishing it? I don't know where he would use that.

John

tgoodwater2002 12-24-2008 05:02 PM

I don't know if he ever tried to fish it. It looked like a top water fly to me. I am sure it would have caught some bluegill and a few bass.

Hardyreels 12-28-2008 03:46 PM

Nice!

It would definitely work in the east where the Japanese Beetle is prolific, that is if the fish have found the beatles tasty. We had a lot of Gypsy Moth Larva but I seldom saw fish taking them more than once. They must not taste good. No joke, some bugs just don't taste good as prey forms, take for instance the Monarch Butterfly. The Viceroy Butterfly is believed to have evolved to mimic the Monarch due to its unpalatability as prey.

If I were still living in the North East I would be trying one when the Japanese Beatles are present.

Great fly Dude.

tuholer 01-09-2014 02:46 PM

The Coffee Bean Beetle Was an idea by Charlie Fox and Vince Marinaro from PA. It was first used in the 1930's I believe on the Yellow Britches Creek.
The full story on this can be found in the book "Ring Of The Rise" by Vince Marinaro.
I have tied them for a number of years and used them for warm water species.
The Gills love them especially when the Spring Peepers are hatching out.

Liphookedau 01-09-2014 02:57 PM

Apparently lots of people still make Bean Beetles One of The Guys on The Forum Made Them for a Swap in 2012.
Brian.

itchmesir 01-09-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgoodwater2002 (Post 39488)

They'd probably work for a pretty killer waterboatman pattern as well

theboz 01-09-2014 06:13 PM

Tryed rice to imitate a maggot. Marked the tip with a black marker and covered it with Sally Hansen. Looked kinda cool until I fished it ! Somehow water got through the lacquer and swelled the rice up until it exploded through the layer of Sally Hansen! Looked like a pimple ready to explode!
Coffee Bean looks cool I'll bet it kills as a terrestrial!

littledavid123 01-09-2014 06:29 PM

How do you get the Coffee Mate and sugar to stick to the bean???

Dave