The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 10:09 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default E.P. steelhead fly

just needs eyes but I am gonna get a few done and then use the epoxy. i just head cemented until then! I used the flyfishohio recipe for this one! took me like 20 mins or so but I am starting to get this stuff! heres a the olive pink and white steelhead vatiation. I tried using white thread this time and once I put on the eyes shouldn't be to noticable! the conehead makes the gap always. I tried not to but then the conehead wobbles around! this fly could prolly fish with out eyes its so dang cool! I am proud of myself hehe! I really need some mono thread tho! don't think fish will mind tho for the time being! when this thing gets wet it looks like a perfect minnow shape! sweet!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: E.P. steelhead fly

Conehead, humm, where have I heard that before?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

will ep fiber sink without weight? thats why I used a conehead? I thought since the stuff sheds water it would float like a dead fish and that those guys prolly used sinking lines with it? I am only using a size 6 streamer hook not those huge 1/0's they use in the recipeand floating line. I need to get it down like 5 feet at most on a swing

Old 12-26-2008, 11:35 PM

trimmed it up and wet it a lil. looks great! just needs some eyes before he fishes. I like the 3d effect these flies give off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV31645.JPG (82.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31648.JPG (77.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNV31649.JPG (77.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 AM
christer is on a distinguished road

Hi George!
Not that I think that the fish will mind the gap between the cone and the wing...

In the spring issue of 2006, Mike Laskowski ties his Triple Threat.
He ties the wing, belly and sides reverse style over the conehead, then he puts head cement on the butt ends and pushes the wing forward with a brassie hair packer so that the windings gets into the conehead and forces the wing to turn back over the hookshank.

If you canīt get your hands on the magazine, please PM me, Iīm sure we can figure something out...

/ Christer
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey George
Try tying most of the material on the bottom side of the hook and it will ride hook point up and be almost weedless. I use a saltwater jiggy fly that is very similar. I sometimes wrap the shank with some lead wire right behind the cone to get a little faster sink. Nice tie !!
JimW
Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

[url=http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/bob_popovics/saltwater_flies_bob_jiggy.html

Heres how i tie mine.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Bad link Try ASWF.org and look for jiggy fly