The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 AM

kerryssz is on a distinguished road
Default could be a good bass/pike fly

I've just tied this one. I guess I could make a longer tail for pike and add a little more weight to it.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: could be a good bass/pike fly

Not too bad...I would say for sure that there is a pike out there that would hit this. One thing I would suggest is to add weight to the hook. I have much better luck when it can sink on its own. Even in shallow water some extra weight is almost a must. If you got pike willing to hit anything in say 2ft of water...you can work them fast getting reaction bites. When I make pike flies, I make sure I have both a weighted and unweighted of that type of fly. In my pike'n smaller flies like these can work very well for pike. My best fly pattern for numbers is a fiber minnow about 3" long. Though later pike may over look it, I start adding longer fibers and flashbou out the back side to give it that little more size. For bass, this prob will work just as is. Again I'd make a weighted one for those deeper areas. I fish mostly out of a boat so deeper diving is a must for me. If your river fishing, you may not need it. I will say that this is a very nice looking fly and very easy to tie from the looks of it. Great Job.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:58 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Good looking fly, I think bass would hit that. I agree with the weight though.
thats one of the funnest part is seeing what you can come up with on your own.
Bear
Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looks like it'll catch just about anything that swims.

For length try this, lash a second hook on a piece of 25lb mono to the hook shank & epoxy it prior to tying the next one, a double hook works well for Pike. Then tie the materials long to cover the tandem hook.

Good looking fly. Have you ever heard of The McNally Magnum? I used to use them for Pike and Muskie, they are tied tandem also. Yours looks like it will do the trick but if you add the extra staying power you may be pleased with the results.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 PM

thanks for some tips. I think it's a good idea to add some weight to it and add another hook to extend tail. I think that second hook will give more weight and action in the water. I am gonna modify my fly and post a picture of it later.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking...is that Guinea?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Now this looks more like a good size pike fly. I can't wait to test it out. I got that spot on the river where I hooked 35"+ pike on my 5weight and 4x tippet while fishing for smallies. It took me for 10 minutes ride and then it disappeared in a pile of tree branches, that's where I lost it. My clouser got stuck on one of those branches and pike got loose without even breaking my tippet. I saw that same pike in the same spot a few weeks later but no luck catching it. I doubt I would land that monster on 4x tippet but spring comes I am going there with my 8 weight, pike leader and my new fly. Anybody knows any other good pike flies? thanks.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

You will have to tell us how it does.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM

I think it is Guinea? I'm not good with feathers names.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I think you are correct