The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 AM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough
Default Scuds: Request for Critique

Here are a couple flies I tied, first ones on my own and kind of substituted some of the materials.

Both scud patterns, first one just a scud the other is a "little guy" or something.
Click the image to open in full size.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scuds: Request for Critique

They both look great! I personally like the second scud better. It just looks sooooo... buggy! You are definatly going to catch some fish with those. So, I am wondering what materials you substitued on those little guys?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

i agree with tgoodwater2002.

i would like to try some. could you post a recipe.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi CoMtFishing,

Here is a Scud that I really like. The back is very well done. See how defined the back is. It has too much dubbing on the bottom for my taste.

Frank

This shell back is available from here.

Pink Scud tied by Andrew Cooper.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Rick, both scuds looks cool!

question... does the 2nd one sink easily with all the fibers that retains air bubbles? I pressume it is weighted with lead wire?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, the one you posted looks like Ostrich.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Yes Joni, you are right.

Frank
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I tie with a person that uses ostrich and he likes it alot. I'll have to try the pattern
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM

CoMtFishing will become famous soon enoughCoMtFishing will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input guys... (these were the first flies I've tied which is why I'm looking for Critigues, ways to improve) Very new to tying so let me know if this helps:

The dubbing I used was Olive and the back of the 1st fly I used a sandwhich baggie cut to a small strip. The back on the 2nd is a stripped goose. Both are weighted and both used gold wire. The 2nd one is kind of flat used a zelcro strip to pick the dubbing out and then cut it so they were all the same length. Its more of a sow bug then a scud.

My Homepage
My Fishing T-shirt site How I pay for my fishing addiction.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well they look awesome...keep up the good work!