The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough
Default a soft hackle and nymph

Hi everybody,

Today i was sitting at my desk trying to think up a good soft hackle or two to try on a local stream next spring and here is what i came up with

Click the image to open in full size.

And then about half way through i thought the body might make a good nymph so heres to pictures and views of the nymph

side view

top view

please tell me what you think of them and i will gladly post a recipe if anyone wants one.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: a soft hackle and nymph

I like the colors you used. I bet it will catch fish. I would like the recipe for it if you will post it.

I am a big fan of soft hackles so anything new to try, I jump all over it.

Thanks for sharing.

John
Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

soft hackle

body: holographic silver tinsel with light olive scud back material wrapped over it
thorax: peackock herl
hackle: brwon partridge

nymph

tail: tanish brown partridge
Body: holographic silver tinsel with light olive scud material wrapped over it
thorax: peakock herl
legs: tanich brown partridge
head:gold bead

On the nymph with the pecock herl i put bigger herl up front and smaller in back to give it a tapering effect. i don't think it makes a difference but i thought it made it look better.

If anyone has any luck with them feel free to send me a picture.

thanks.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I agree that the peacock herl would look better with the smaller on the back, but the fish from what I can tell can't tell that difference

John

Thanks for posting
Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

VERY NICE! I am in a softhackle swap on another forum right now and I came up with a new one called Northern Lights. Some new material...cool as heck.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Nice, those oughta catch a trout for sure, really like that soft hackle
Bear
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
VERY NICE! I am in a softhackle swap on another forum right now and I came up with a new one called Northern Lights. Some new material...cool as heck.
Well lets see it, please and thank you
Bear
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, pictures don't do this justice, but here it is:

Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Yep, that looks like Aurora Borealis alright, good lookin' soft hackle Joni... !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Okay, pictures don't do this justice, but here it is:

I like it