The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:22 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold
Default wire flies

Now the season is closed we are busy organising fly dressing workshops around Ireland.
This year say an incredible upsurge on guys wanting to try out the wire flies.
Yes they do work, on the river Mourne i used a 9ft 8/9 wt greys rod for seatrout and Atlantic Salmon fishing wire salmon flies trout style with a bit of up stream nymphing technique in it.
You basically cast the fly about 45o upstream make a mend in the line and hold the rod tip high.
The weighted fly simnks at an incredible speed which drops deep at the head of a pool increasing your chances of a take.
Here is a couple of patterns that i think may be good for steel head.
this week i will be doing a series using polar bear dyed in picric acid

wire bann special
Click the image to open in full size.
teal purple and silver
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: wire flies

Hi laurie,

Great looking flies. I bet they do catch a lot of fish.

In the US the Copper John is a very popular fly.

Frank

Cabelas Red Copper John

Cabelas Zebra Copper John
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful, the second one is very eye catching to me.
Frank, I like your second one too...
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Laurie: Those are beautiful flies and like the Copper John that is so popular here in the U.S. I bet your flies are deadly!

Larry

Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 AM

laurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to beholdlaurie is a splendid one to behold

Hi Larry
they are pretty deadly,the copper johns work a treat in the spring.
Been doing a few flies with picric dyed polar bear for next season.
Th bear in the wing of a green peter worked wonders for some of the guys on the big Loughs, so we are going to try it out with salmon flies
The Picric Peter
hook size 10 kamasan
tag red dubbing
Body picric olive dubbing
body hackle picric furnace
wing picric dyed cock pheasant quill
under wing picric dyed polar bear

polar express
hook partridge size 8 double
tail picric dyed silver fox with pearl twinkle
tag gold utc wire
body picric baby seals fur
rib gold and black utc wire
throat hackle picric dyed cock and hot orange
wing picric polar bear and pearl twinkle
head red silk
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Radio interview

here is the Radio interview i did this week
http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/LMFM/201...enceFinney.mp3
this is another pattern for next year
the picric golden olive with picric polar bear under wing
Old 12-04-2010, 06:32 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Laurie,

Your flies are terrific! Nice radio interview, too.

I like polar bear as a winging material, in it's natural color it's somewhat transluscent and in the water looks even more so. It probably also keeps some of that characteristic when dyed.

I also like the featherwing/hairwing combination that you used on some of your ties; you don't see that combination much in the US.

Great streamers! Thanks for sharing.

Pocono
Old 02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Hey Frank-Just looking at you briiliant copper john flies. Just curious as to what you use for wingcases-is that nymph skin or some type of thin poly strip?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flytier07,

I didn't tie those two flies. They are from Cabelas you must have missed the credit. The originator of the Copper John is John Barr and he uses black "Thin Skin." He covers it with epoxy. Here is an article by John that gives you tying instructions.

This fly does look really good with the black and silver wire. I wish I could take credit for it.

Cabelas Zebra Copper John

Frank
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Nice flies everybody

I can see the usefulness of some weight when the water is deep and swift but I am leaning toward sink tip and a BB shot or two because of snags. I started making wire bodies 2 years ago for deep water salmon and trout. The only problem was hanging them up on rocks if I don't keep them moving. So far they have caught a few fish but I don't use them often enough to find out if they are really great lures.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;