The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Share Patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/)
-   -   "The Answer" if you like to catch trout (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/7676-answer-if-you-like-catch-trout.html)

Hardyreels 02-02-2009 02:18 PM

"The Answer" if you like to catch trout

8 Attachment(s)
This one isn't in your book. You wont find it in your buddies fly wallet either. This style of tie and the materials were the culmination of many years of experimentation with the wild brown trout of Central Pennsylvania's spring creeks.

By using actual brown trout fry and parr stage fish that I captured on a local stream and my pattern that I was developing I was able to develop a fly that out fished any other I have ever used.

I placed the young trout in a clear mason jar and with my fly on a leader and swimmers goggles on, I submerged us all. By doing so many times with many fly patterns I was able once and for all to determine what materials would most look like a baby brown trout.

This was not done without Taking into consideration that fish perceive reflected light and colors differently than humans. I did however deduce that if the streamer fly seemed to resemble the developing trout parr to my eyes, then the same phenomenon may be true for the trout also regardless of the difference in color perception.

Without further ado Here is the rather unconventional result; click thumbs to enlarge.
Attachment 1635 I named the pattern "The Answer" based on its effectiveness!

Attachment 1636 From the front and side;

Attachment 1637 From the rear and side;

Attachment 1638 A used fly when wet;

This tie is meant not only to provide the visual stimuli to the adult brown trout but is meant to swim like a fish hence the extended tail.

Generally the wing is tied only as long as the body. This is done to allow the dual triangular tail feathers freedom to undulate (swim) at the rear of the fly. This style of tie also solves the problem of the elongated wing of streamers getting wrapped inside the hook bend and causing the "Cork Screwing" effect we are all familiar with.

arfishinbear 02-02-2009 02:34 PM

Re: "The Answer" if you like to catch trout

:eek: all I can say is WOW.
Great fly man
Bear

axle27 02-02-2009 02:44 PM

Awesome!!!!!

Now, the only thing I can't figure out is this: I don't see the swimming goggles on the fly...what material did you use?:D

Cooler00 02-02-2009 06:18 PM

That's a great approach to fly design, and a great looking fly!

Scott

fyshstykr 02-02-2009 06:40 PM

Interesting tie Ard, I like the slimmer profile when wet.:)

Steelhead Junkie 04-19-2009 04:17 PM

That is one of the BEST streamers I have EVER seen!!!!!! That is one of the coolest flies flies I've seen in a long time:clap: Mind sharin' the pattern or is tha your secret....:icon_roll

dmwphoto 04-19-2009 04:39 PM

very nice!

rmooney 04-20-2009 11:25 AM

wow, that is amazing. great job.

Arkie24 04-20-2009 07:16 PM

Amazing fly Ard. The fly has character and I would love to see that fly in my box.

GREAT JOB! :bowdown:

aroostookbasser 06-15-2009 08:55 AM

Awesome!!!!!!!

:frogdance:frogdance:frogdance