The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default "The Answer" if you like to catch trout

This one isn't in your book. You wont find it in your buddies fly wallet either. This style of tie and the materials were the culmination of many years of experimentation with the wild brown trout of Central Pennsylvania's spring creeks.

By using actual brown trout fry and parr stage fish that I captured on a local stream and my pattern that I was developing I was able to develop a fly that out fished any other I have ever used.

I placed the young trout in a clear mason jar and with my fly on a leader and swimmers goggles on, I submerged us all. By doing so many times with many fly patterns I was able once and for all to determine what materials would most look like a baby brown trout.

This was not done without Taking into consideration that fish perceive reflected light and colors differently than humans. I did however deduce that if the streamer fly seemed to resemble the developing trout parr to my eyes, then the same phenomenon may be true for the trout also regardless of the difference in color perception.

Without further ado Here is the rather unconventional result; click thumbs to enlarge.
Attachment 1635 I named the pattern "The Answer" based on its effectiveness!

Attachment 1636 From the front and side;

Attachment 1637 From the rear and side;

Attachment 1638 A used fly when wet;

This tie is meant not only to provide the visual stimuli to the adult brown trout but is meant to swim like a fish hence the extended tail.

Generally the wing is tied only as long as the body. This is done to allow the dual triangular tail feathers freedom to undulate (swim) at the rear of the fly. This style of tie also solves the problem of the elongated wing of streamers getting wrapped inside the hook bend and causing the "Cork Screwing" effect we are all familiar with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broadside Rt.0001.jpg (63.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg From Front up0001.JPG (91.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Rear up0001.jpg (69.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Wet0001.JPG (63.9 KB, 241 views)
shotgunfly, bear 007 and eastfly66 like this.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: "The Answer" if you like to catch trout

all I can say is WOW.
Great fly man
Bear
Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Awesome!!!!!

Now, the only thing I can't figure out is this: I don't see the swimming goggles on the fly...what material did you use?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

That's a great approach to fly design, and a great looking fly!

Scott
Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting tie Ard, I like the slimmer profile when wet.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

That is one of the BEST streamers I have EVER seen!!!!!! That is one of the coolest flies flies I've seen in a long time Mind sharin' the pattern or is tha your secret....
Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

very nice!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

wow, that is amazing. great job.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

Amazing fly Ard. The fly has character and I would love to see that fly in my box.

GREAT JOB!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Awesome!!!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"