The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Nail Fly, Attractor Pattern;

Just messing around with scraps on the bench-top and put this together. I made a pair just in case it turns out to be a fish magnet.

Nail Fly in blue, a look at the dubbing and hackle;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Broadside view;

This is a flat wing and most of these swim very well, I expect this will too.

Pretty simple to tie;

The body is spun in a dubbing loop and wound forward
There is a fine silver wire wound forward over the body and the hackle to secure them.
The body hackle is blue eared pheasant & the throat is royal blue fibers.
The wing is a body feather with nail from the upper back of a jungle cock skin.

That's it, you can tie a mallard flank dyed claret on this if you don't have the JC. Or you can just look at the picture and move on with life.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nail Fly, Attractor Pattern;

Ard: That sure is a fine looking fly, I'll bet you can catch some nice fish with that beauty!

Larry

Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Larry,

Been a while since we have been in touch, I see your little green light on sometimes and will give you a buzz next time. The fly is what I said, stuff that is piled on the bench. I'm going to tie a bunch of little wet flies and streamers this winter along with loads of salmon sized stuff but first I have to clean up my spot. You know how things kinda pile up.....................

Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had me going there for a moment. Read Nail Fly/brain registered 'Needle fly.' Which is one of the most unusual ways I've ever seen to construct a fly:

Making a Needle Fly
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard, With that blue it should be great for Steelies...

Dan
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fly Ard.I tested some blue flies when fishing a reservoir and never caught a fish with themdon't know why...
Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Hi JP,

I was just messing around and made those. I don't know if they will work or not. I did catch quite a few salmon on the Bush Doctor Spey style fly this past season and it is a blue one. Funny thing the flies that work on any given day. Sometimes you can't go wrong with red and white like the Skykomish Sunrise. Other days a pattern that looks a lot like food is the ticket. For trout fishing I always stick to dark colors and not the flashy ones.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

In a reservoir fish are caught and released many times...so I thought it would be a good idea to use blue flies as nobody uses that colour...but it wasn't,looks like bows don't like blue
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Blue and black is a winner for me, especially down deep.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.