The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Steelhead Fly; The Squirrel

This is a pattern of my own making used for sea run rainbow trout in spring and fall. It is tied full in this showing for swift water fishing. The pattern has proven useful for silver salmon also.

Attachment 1727

Thread: garnet mono cord
Tag: three or four turns of medium silver tinsel
Tail: claret wool or similar
Body: black chenille or spun fur
Rib: medium silver tinsel
Throat: red squirrel tail fibers tied long past the bend of hook
Wing: grey squirrel tail fibers tied long as the tail
Cheeks: jungle cock
Collar: barred rock rather full and tied back
Head: garnet mono cord lacquered

This fly is fished as you would any bucktail presented on the swing preferably to a known lie that contains a fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Squrille0001.jpg (60.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steelhead Fly; The Squirrel

Ard

Nicee looking pattern, I can see why the Silvers would like that!

You been getting much snow up there lately? Snowed here today, but probably only an inch.

Larry
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Larry,

No not much snow here in this part of the valley but they are getting it in other parts of AK. It was 28 yesterday and 34 today I'm thinking I may be able to fish Monday!

Ard
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard

If you get out post some pics of the river and if you have success fish. It was 15 degrees here this morning, we only got maybe 2 inches of snow last night. I was wanting to head up to the Grey Reef to wet a line but I have another dang head cold, so I'm staying home and tying flies! Good luck with the fishing!

Larry