The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

This is an adaptation of the Silver Doctor of Atlantic Salmon Fly fame.

Attachment 1729 I keep three or four in one of my boxes just for fun. They are too hard to tie so ya gotta be careful not to go snapping them off when you hook up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Western Doctor0001.jpg (58.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

Ard

You are one fly tying machine! I'm a measly slough compared to what you tie. Great work!

Larry
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Larry,

Thank you for your kind words. I just like these pretty flies and am filling the boxes for spring. I've been stubbornly fishing the fancy stuff since the seventies and manage to get fish to take them so I keep on turning them out.

Even if I'm not knocking the spots off the fish I get a fly fishing buzz when I open a box or wallet that is filled with beautiful flies.

Ard
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I get a fly fishing buzz when I open a box or wallet that is filled with beautiful flies. Ard
I can understand the buzz, and there's no better reason to do what you enjoy! How about sharing that buzz with a photo of said wallet?
For some types of fishing, my approach is more pragmatic. But for others, a certain amount of elegance seems fitting. Any tips on where I can get a nice, reasonably priced leather fly wallet?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Dorsey,

I'll post some photos of both boxes and wallets soon in the share patterns thread. As for where to get a nice one..............? My favorite was given to me circa 1980 and is no doubt a vintage of about 1930 or so. The best current model of a leather wallet I've had was a Holland Sport Leather Co. product that I bought from Martin J. Keane in 2002. The Holland Sport wallet was far and away the most first class offering I have seen for a tri fold shearing lined type complete with a strap and keeper.

I made a gift of the H.S. to a fishing associate and no longer have it so no photo is forthcoming. I believe that the C.C. Filson Co. offers a streamer wallet and if memory serves me they are a very nice item so there is a second source to check.

I also use an Orvis wax cotton and leather Battenkill wallet circa 1994 - 96 for feather wing streamers but have switched to the #1661 Wheatley box having 40 #5 clips for the storage of salmon & steelhead flies.

I will try to supply photos of each of the aforementioned wallets and the boxes today or tomorrow in a new thread as time allows.

Thank you for your interest in these flies and I will do my best to supply information in any way that I can.

Ard