The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

i tied this yesterday for crappie fishing. the eyes are made of glass beads (they were from my organic chemistry lab- we used them to increase surface area in column chromotagraphy, thanks chemistry ) i wrapped two of them in a sock fabric to hold them together.

the other one is my first attempt at a salmon fly

the last one is a snail imitation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crappe fly.jpg (87.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg salmon fly.jpg (83.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg snail.jpg (87.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

Love them...Dude you are turning into one of my favorite tiers....You have imagination!
I love that snail!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

thanks joni! the snail is pretty easy to make...

first i wrapped the hook shank w/ lead wire, then i tied in some brown deer hair at the end of the hook. then i tied in 2 pieces of brown foam at the end, and peacock herl in the middle of the hook. i wrapped the peacock herl toward the bend of the hook and tied it off.

to make the shell i TIGHTLY roll the foam closest to the eye of the hook forward, then while holding the roll in place, i bring the back foam over the roll. after that i push the eye oh the hook through the back foam and bring the foam underneath the herl. the back foam holds the roll in place. then i tie it off.

it floats perfectly in the surface film of the water. the lead makes it not float too high.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Moon,

The salmon fly looks great and the snail has me wondering, did you come up with that on your own because if you did you are an innovator for sure. The use of the glass eyes on number one is interesting, do they offer a greater specific gravity than zinc or the standard bead eye concept?

Keep cranking out those salmon flies, I don't know where you live but someday you'll get to use them and you'll be glad to have your original prototype.

Ard
Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

thanks for the feedback!

About the snail, I tried making a pattern i saw in a magazine (orvis catalogue), but i had no idea what they used or how they made it! so i just sat at my desk, fooled around with some ideas, and after a couple BAD ties, i ended up with this one!

Ive only fished with the white crappie fly once. it sunk pretty slow. haha i just thought it looked pretty cool!

yeah salmon flys look so cool! i wish i could tie up some of those masterpieces! what are they suppose to imitate though? ive always wondered.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

rmooney,

There have been rumors that some were tied to simulate butterflies but I have yet to see a fish take one,(a butterfly) for the most part I believe most are simply the product of the originators skill & fancy at and for fly tying. That said I would conclude in my less than professional opinion that most salmon and steelhead flies are in fact attractor patterns that happen to have a long and fabled history of persistent fishermen casting them at fish until the fish takes them.

Attachment 2034Definately an attractor pattern

If you look here 'Share Patter" you'll be able to find many salmon & steelhead flies posted by myself and others that fit the description I have just given of them. I hope this gives an answer of sorts to your question.

Ard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hewitt Creek Hallogram0001.jpg (74.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hardy, I sure would like your supply of Jungle Cock!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 PM

AlbertaFly is on a distinguished road

Great looking flies. If you really want to get creative.. take purple beads and wrap them in a salmon sack (making row), wrap peacock herl, lots of it and bulk it up. Cut out some thicker ziplock into a heart for wings and tie the eyes in.
lol

For your salmon fly, shorten up the beard a bit... and tie the head smaller and closer to the eye! It will jazz that fly up just right.