The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default McFly's Mickey Finn Clouser

as you all know I am obsessed with clousers. I have lots of colors and have been very successful using them for steelhead and smallmouth. caught gills and carp with them also. anyways. here I am at it again! this time I took the original mickey finn pattern but incorporated it into a clouser style so i can use a floating line but still get it deeper down for steelhead. what ya guys think? used size 8 streamer hook, yellow and red bucktail, silver tinsel and silver bead chain eyes with black thread. made a few up. heres one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV32218.JPG (78.7 KB, 131 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: McFly's Mickey Finn Clouser

McFly: Nice work! You ever get to Alaska, that is a killer pattern on Red Salmon.

Larry
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

I'll start hitchhiking that way now! haha. I wish I could get out there but unfortunatly got no funds for that! that would be awesome tho! going "into the wild"!!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about

George, Thats a great looking Clouser. I love the red in it. I tied several in a solid white with a hering flash and just today I caught Walleye on them. I think it the most universal fly you can have.

I think I am going to steal your colors!
=)
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 PM

don't be shy to make up many different colors! you can just about imitate any baitfish and adapt it to any fish you are fishing for as long as it eats other fish just by changing the size and colors.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi McFly,

Good job. You stayed true to the Mickey Finn but I might try a little flash on the red sides.

Frank
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Frank ya read my mind! I was gonna add some silver flash down the sides also but didn't wanna over do the flash. only made 2 as a test tho. now that I figured out what looks good I will add some silver flash to the others! thanks for the suggestions. I am gonna make some that are brown/black/white bucktail with gold tinsel and flash too but using bronze colored bead chain eyes. a black nosed dace clouser!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 AM

AlbertaFly is on a distinguished road

nice looking fly.
I have a few suggestions:

1. on that fly there... shorten the head a bit and round it off. Use a nail hardener (ask your wife about it) and do about 4-5 coats on the head. It really shines it up and hides the thread.

2. Try tying it strictly with marabou.. and put red flash out the back.
Tie the flash, then your white marabou. Start behind the eyes and wrapped back spacing it out... tie off the tail, wrap over your first wraps and finish off the white. then tie in your red.
You could also use a small portion of rabbit fur in red and tie it in with the white behind the head so that if gives off the 'gill' effect.

Marabou breathes better and will be a little more enticing.
Also try tying it on a Mustad Circle Streamer hook in a size 2... nice wide hook gap and sharp as heck!!

** and use white thread on minnow/clouser patterns. The white isnt seen as much on the body when doing wraps and the white heads look amazing.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 AM

thanks for the tips. I've seen the marabou one and it looks great. just was using what material i got around cause times are tough now.. I don't got a wife but I know about the sally hansens nail polish hardener stuff, i will get some next time out. thanks agian for the tips! will try it out when i get a chance. heading out tomorrow but using nymphs and eggs. might give it a go tho you never know!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

GMF,

That's one from my home waters, originated by John Alden Knight.

If the fish are bright and on the move try the Micky Finn swinging fast in the swift runs if the fish are holding or moving there. That's how and where I fish all my really colorful wets like the steelhead flies I've posted.

If you fish deep swift stuff get some zinc eyes on those babies. That is what I use on my bunny fur comets. It takes then down like a brick.