The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Share Patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/)
-   -   Bunnies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/8349-bunnies.html)

MrEsox 03-12-2009 03:00 PM

Bunnies

4 Attachment(s)
After the success of my secret fly, I started making a hybrid of zonker strips and marabou. They look great (well out of the water). These are bigger flies as well. Pike and musky should love these guys. Personally I like marabou over bunny. They become larger profiles and tend to breathe better in the water. However, you can make a tail of marabou like you can a bunny strip. These are all tied on a 1/0 or larger hook with most being 3/0. Under the tail I tie a good amount of flash and well I put eyes on almost everything. I also add a small amount of a storm suspend strip to the shaft of the hook giving it a bit more weight. This helps get the fly to sink and reach several feet easily.

BigCliff 03-12-2009 03:16 PM

Re: Bunnies

Good looking fly, looks quite similar to Barr's Bouface.

kerryssz 03-12-2009 04:28 PM

I'm gonna have to make that first one in perch color. Awsome looking fly!:thumbsupu A pike slayer!

MrEsox 03-12-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryssz (Post 52434)
I'm gonna have to make that first one in perch color. Awsome looking fly!:thumbsupu A pike slayer!

I tend to do best with yellow and oj myself. Didnt do too bad on the purple and orange either. I do think these will do very well for pike since they are in that 3-4 inch range. I think the bunny tail adds much needed girth to the over all profile. I like the way the bunny moves in the water but marabou seams to do much better and it is longer. I am an old musky hound and have for years been on marabou on in-line spinner baits more commonly known as bucktails. Since my faves are made of marabou over bucktail well you can see where I am going with this. I do have another pattern that has worked even better in the spring for pike. The best so far has been a 39" but I wont shair that pattern with anyone. :icon_wink :wink:

mcnerney 03-12-2009 09:45 PM

MrEsox: Nice work! I'm sure those fish will attack those. Have you ever tried them on carp?

Larry

MrEsox 03-12-2009 10:45 PM

For carp...hm...well these are big, as long as your hand and with 5/0 hooks (these pictured anyways). I'd have to make a smaller one but prob would work on carp. We get some really big smallmouth Buffalo carp up here and a little bunny like these prob work

Hardyreels 03-19-2009 01:14 AM

Nice,

I like them, they would work good in the salt here. I tie a big fly like those to imitate candlefish. I fish in the surf on the bays for silvers as they move along the coast.

sandfly 03-19-2009 05:35 AM

yes you can tie a tail of maribou like bunny of sorts, I'll post a pic later today..