The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Eastern Red Quill Spinner, a Dry Fly

As I look at the postings I realize that although many of our members may enjoy seeing postings of salmon flies you may not have a use for them presently. In the spirit of inclusion I'm posting one of my favorite dry fly patterns. I called this my Red Quill Spinner. This hatch was an annual happening for me on many of north central Pennsylvania's Creeks.

Attachment 2048Click it & it'll get bigger;

Hook: # 12 - #16, 1X long fine wire dry fly, your choice
Head: Lacquered ginger brown silk 08
Tail: Mixed ginger & blue dun hackle
Body: Stripped peacock herl, lacquered for strength
Wing: Slate mallard wing sections upright & split
Hackle: Mixed ginger brown & blue dun

This dry fly tie not only will suffice during many different mayfly hatches but provides an elegant flair to the tip of your leader. If you would like pointers on making the quill body please feel free to P.M. and I'll give you a hand.

Ard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Quill Spinner0001.JPG (84.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eastern Red Quill Spinner, a Dry Fly

That looks real good. I need to step out of my comfort zone and tie some dry flies. That looks like a fairly easy pattern..
Old 03-30-2009, 09:59 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Nice fly Ard...good during the Hendrickson's. I'm curious why you call it a spinner?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

The red quill was always used during the Hendrickson spinner fall (females laying eggs & dying) on some of our larger creeks like lower Kettle Creek. At least red quill is what the old timers (that means guys who were 65 & over when I was 30) called their pattern for the spinner.

I became fond of using quill for body material on many different dry fly patterns. I would tie a Lt. Cahill with a lt. ginger hackle quill stripped of it's barbels and very light mallard wing quill sections for the wings. Not your traditional Lt. Cahill or sulphur pattern but many were the evenings that I had it going on while others just looked on and hollered 'what are you using'.

Tying with quill bodies and good quality hackles will produce a fly that will float high and long while producing a very buggy silhouette. Always soak the quills in water after you strip the barbs and prior to tying them on. Soaking makes them supple so they don't break when you wind them on. Lacquer after tying for strength. Blah blah blah.............. help I'm writing and I can't stop!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Nice looking fly, Hardy.

I haven't tied a damn thing in over 2 months. Just too damn busy. This weekend is my spring trout trip to the mountains. I'm gonna take the few that I've tied, although I'll probably use some midges that I've got since it's a bit early in the season. Depends on what I find streamside.

Where I'm going, it's fished pretty hard.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I always thought the Red Quill imitated the male Hendrickson in the dun stage. I'm used to seeing spent wing (as opposed to upright wing) patterns used for spinners. That was the reason for my question. Either way, it's a sweet tie.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Go get um Axle,

dshort, I guess if we were sitting somewhere talking this over it would be easier to sort this subject out. I used to use these flies while the spinners were landing on the water and laying eggs, then taking off and landing a little further upstream. Once the real fall was under way if the fish were not taking the quill I would switch to a dk ginger colored dubbed body with lt gray poly wings tied spent. the poly wing spent fly was no doubt the best imitation for the dead spinners but it took years before I gave up my stubborn resistance to using synthetic materials like poly.

I was using wool yarn, rayon floss, and many other manufactured materials that were part of the landscape since I had began tying flies but 'polly' just sounded too modern and I avoided it until the late eighties. Wow, what a confession of my own hardheaded ways, after I adopted the use of some various synthetics it seemed natural to use them but when it came time to show off a fly that I had tied I would always reach for a quill or some other traditional tie.

I have no doubt missed out on some opportunities because of my ways but I have always been the type of fisherman who when ask 'what do ya think they're taking' would always respond, 'whatever I'm tying to the end of this leader'. Honest to God, it worked! The fish have always took whatever I showed them. I don't know why they just do. I still do the same thing here, I tie on a streamer and start fishing and once I find a fish, it takes the streamer. Of course there are factors involved, conditions such as the fish not seeing me and not being stressed by exposure to other fishermen and so forth.

Oh well, I think I'm rambling here, I don't mean to be self aggrandising when I say these things it's just the way fishing has always been with me. I guess I'm what they used to call a plugger, I just keep plugging away till something happens.

Ard