The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Pair Of Feather Wing Streamers;

It has been awhile since I have posted any ties here. The primary reason is that all my flies are big salmon or trout streamers and not the type patterns that make up the bulk of what our members use. But since we all like looking at pictures I figured there is no harm in a couple.

I had not tied a single fly in December of 2010 so I tied one today the 29th. It is the purple fly, I called the white one the White Ranger so I guess the other is the purple. The white was tied back in October I think and I haven't been at the tying vise much at all this fall. It will be a long winter and I need to replace the flies that got torn up this past year so I know I'll be at it soon.

If anyone has questions about materials please ask and I will post the tying recipes.

White;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Purple;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Recipes;

The White one;

Hook: Daiichi 2051
Tag: Thin French Twist tinsel
Tip; Burgundy floss
Tail: Dyed golden pheasant crest, color; claret
Butt: White ostrich herl
Body: Rear 2/3 Black marabou silk front black dubbed fur
Rib: Medium silver oval tinsel
Under Wing: Amherst pheasant tippets
Wing: 4 claret saddle hackle with 2 small JC nails as cheeks / eyes
Beard: Whitting Spey hackle
Collar: Long black Schalappllen

The Purple;

Hook: Same Daiichi 2051
Tag: Flat gold tinsel
Body Black marabou floss
Rib; Gold oval led with purple silk
Wing: 2 Amherst tippets dyed purple over which are 6 large hackle from a black Indian Game Cock cape & JC
Hackle: Goose shoulder dyed same as the Amherst, purple
Collar: Same black schlappllen

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-01-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Pair Of Feather Wing Streamers;

Looks like you haven't lost your touch ArdBeautiful flies
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - very nice looking flies, Ard.

Do you dye your own Lady Amherst feathers? I haven't seen commercially available LA in that purple color? Actually, it's almost violet, not purple.

Goes very well with the body hackle. Is that dyed burnt Goose?

Yup, recipes please......

Pocono
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard, Great looking flies, as always...

Dan
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Nice flies Ard.

I think you should keep hitting the vice as much as you can. It would be a shame not to see more coming off your vice.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Fellas,

I stuck the recipes on the post. Yes I dye the tippets and the claret color I get by blending scarlet, brown and black dyes. it is pretty much trial and error till you get what you want and then you're good to go. The flies are actually simple to make and I thought that although they are a bit loud in color they are as nice as most feather wing recipes that I've been copying for decades so I put them up in case you guys wanted to tie something similar. All of the stuff I used should be available at any good fly tying shop and the dye is at your nearest fabric store.

About dyes, I have some old dyes that i got in the 70s at E. Hillie's in PA. and since I have no source for those any longer I started using Rit Dye from fabric stores. The man who first explained the dying process to me had said that once I had gotten the materials to the color I should add a liberal amount of vinegar to the mix. This supposedly 'set' the dye into the feathers. Common sense tells me that if you add the 'acid' which vinegar is to the dye when you start the acid will denature the proteins of the feathers and furs and either ruin them or weaken then so that they may not be good material for flies. I dye stuff as described and have never had a color fade or bleed unto other flies when they are put in the box wet. He said to add the vinegar at the end of the process not at the beginning and it's been working for me for a long time.

One other thing, Boil dye for fur and dye fur on the stove where you can maintain the dye solution near the boiling point. Feathers do not require such high temps but should be pre soaked before put into a hot dye bath. Average time for good deep colors seems to be around 1/2 hour for feathers and for fur it is shorter. Fur is a 'hands on' process but goes fairly quickly.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Ard Very nice ties, I have not managed a good result with feathers yet but fur is prity easy

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD