The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough
Default The Swarm

Some flies I tied up. Great for panfish and bows on stillwater.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Body: Embroidery thread
Thorax: Peacock herl
Legs: Centipede legs
Head: Gold Bead
Old 01-02-2011, 04:34 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Swarm

Very nice woven flies, they look killer

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono
Thanks.

The woven body is two different colors...back and abdomen and tied with a overhand knot weave.

Legs are tied in at each side (like the Chernobyl) and the top leg goes across the top. The herl is then wrapped amongst.

The trickiest part of this fly isn't the weave like you may think. Getting the legs positioned and flared correctly is.

Last edited by big_e; 01-02-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Where can I look online to learn about weaving bodies? Something new for me.

Pocono
Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Pocono
Probably the best and most comprehensive I've seen on various weave methods is in the book "Flytier's Benchside Reference."

If you don't have this book in your flytying library, I highly recommend it.

E
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice work E,

Your picture of the covey is cool. I don't use much in the way of dries or nymphs here but I always take a look at what we are posting on the board.

Me likey,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

E, really nice looking fly....

Dan
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Big E: Great looking pattern, I'm betting that would be a killer pattern on the local sagebrush lakes!

Larry

Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

big_e

That's a super, buggy looking collection--- it looks like a horde of alien invaders right out of a sci fi flick.

Really neat stuff!

Quote:

Pocono
Allan-

There are a bunch of different weaves you can do. The late great Al Campbell has some neat stuff on the Fly Angler's OnLine site:

Al Campbell’s stuff on fly Anglers On Line:

Tiger Weave
Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 1"

Hook Weave
Hook Weave EZ Stone- Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 2"

Pott’s Weave
Woven Hackle Flies-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 3"

Granny Weave
Granny Weave Stonefly-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 4"

and here's a neat article from Hatches:
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/370