The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mini Streamer - Milkweed Fly

Here's a mini-streamer that I got around to tying up today.

I started in on one back in May of last year, but I didn't have any of the key ingredient; the wing is made out of milkweed seed fibers. So, I had to wait until the milkweeds up here in the Poconos went to seed; which was late November. Turns out that I have a field across from my house that has "thousands" of milkweed plants in it; so I am no longer short on materials! Anybody need milkweed??

This pattern comes off the GFF site and was originally published as part of a series on mini-streamers; most of them derived from Ray Bergman's original plates showing 500+ winged wets. I really like the sheen that comes off the milkweed fiber wing and bet it will be effective in that water. We'll see come Spring.

Ingredients are simple:

Hook: Mustad 79580, #14
Thread: Griffith's Sheer, black, 14/0
Body: Orange silk, flat
Rib: x-sm silver tinsel, flat
Tail: Wood duck barbs
Throat: Wood Duck barbs (can also be tied with banded Wood Duck barbs)
Wing: Milkweed seed fibers

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm tempted now to pair it with peacock herl as a sub for the orange floss; with maybe a gold rib instead of silver - it never ends, does it?

Pocono
Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mini Streamer - Milkweed Fly

Interesting.

What do you forsee as to the durability of the milkweed?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice fly Pocono. Thanks for sharing the pattern.
That new camera plus photo set-up does produce an awesome picture. The scoring on your vise jaws shows up like the rings of Saturn.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Big_e: I'm betting not long in terms of lifespan in a fish's mouth. But, it's tougher than I thought; not a strong as the barbs on a feather, but not that far behind it either. My first fish on it will tell.

Jimmie: That was actually a hand-held shot using the image stabilizer that operates in the Auto mode on the camera; I hadn't figured out the timer. When I do, I'm thinking that, coupled with the tripod, the image sharpness will really be there. It's a pleasue to use and certainly much more than a single-purpose camera.

Pocono
Old 01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful streamer Allan...makes me think of a sailboat
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: Awesome looking streamer, I'm betting it will do very well, I really like how the sheen comes off the milkweed fiber wing.

Larry

Old 01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's very cool Allan, I would not have thought to use that for a wing. I tie a wet I call Cottonwood but I faked the Cottonwood seed fluff with marabou because the real stuff is really fragile. But this is a cool idea!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Great Job Allan, I think the milk weed looks better than the marabou
It seems to have a translucency and sheeny appearance.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Well, it took some time, but here it is with a herl body and small gold oval tinsel rib. I think that in the water, the herl and the wing may work well together. We'll see!

Click the image to open in full size.

This milkweed is tougher than I thought; you really can't easily pull the fibers apart; one end to the other. As for the teeth on trout, well, at this point I don't think it will fare any worse than a hackle stem.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 01-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice streamer Allan...the problem is... trout are not like humans...the older they get the bigger teeth they get