The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Arkie24 has a spectacular aura aboutArkie24 has a spectacular aura about
Default Clouser with a kick!

I seen this variation in a magazine and thought is was cool. I tied on the rabbit strip and then pulled it back to use a razor blade to make a small slit in the hide to straddle the hook.

The one I seen was black with a white rabbit strip, I wanted to get original and do the firetiger.

My only concern is when I throw this I am afraid once the rabbit gets wet this is going to be one HEAVY fly to throw!

Thoughts?

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Clouser with a kick!

I don't think there's any way to get around that fly being heavy. One way to reduce the weight a bit would be to just tie in the rabbit strip at the rear of the shank of the hook. This also saves you from having to slit the thing, and greatly reduces the chances of it fouling.

Here's a similar one I like that is a bit lighter, and works with large bead chain eyes.- http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/Red%20Neck%20Rabbit.pdf

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM

texasflycaster is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, probabilities are it will run hook down with the weight of that wet rabbit. shannon
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasflycaster View Post
In my opinion, probabilities are it will run hook down with the weight of that wet rabbit. shannon
The weight you're referring to would be caused by water. Water does not sink in water. (unless its really cold, but I don't think we're discussing thermodynamics here)

The thing may run hook down, but not due to the weight of a wet zonker.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ark,

I use big rabbit fur comets with zinc eyes for weight for king's here and the weight isn't prohibitive. If I'm fishing specifically for kings I use a nine weight rod and once I get used to the thud on the back cast it's just like casting a #16 on a 5wt. When getting it down to the fish is the objective don't let weight bother you, you'll adapt.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2009, 01:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

You can tie a half n half instead to save some weight. This is a bad pic but a half n half starts with 4-6 feathers tied on either side of the hook before you start your clouser. This will save you alot of weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 146716.jpg (13.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-13-2009, 04:36 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Actually;

Your more or less right on the weight of the fly. However, I have no troubles. I picked up the Clouser fly book and it has this pattern in there, so I made a few. There is no real troules with my 5wt but like them much better with the 9wt I normally use. All my flies for the most part are larger using size 4 hooks and bigger. Most of my Clouser are on a 1/0 or bigger. (pike, bass, eyes etc) I find the little extra weigth to help with casting dista ce and such. The amount of action from the tail, added color, and added action is a plus when after larger fish...this was a great fly for pike. However, smaller fish may shy away form it. To me this is a large fish fly.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I will fish the clouser this weekend and see its reaction. I will keep you posted....
Old 04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The small chunk of rabbit in a clouser sized fly shouldn't be that bad. I cast rabbit flies all the time. I mean big rabbit flies. I use a ten weight and a line designed for chunky flies and have no problems. These flies are 5" long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pike flies2.JPG (86.3 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM

After fishing the fly in question, I can defiantly feel the "thud" in the back cast bus as far as throwing it, it throws very well. I tied the deer hair on the back side of the hook very tight but the buck tail I put on top I tied more freely to allow the fly to swim correct. the hook was up instead of down and when I strip the line the fly swims well. I didn't catch any fish YET but it looks very promising. I will post more pics of diffrent colors. Thanks for the input!