The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 03:28 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Left overs

OK, so awhile back we talked about a snake pattern and I ordered some tails and heads to ty some. They come in a 3 pack I belive maybe 5. I used one of the heads to make a popper and had a tail leftover. Setting at my desk last night I looked up and seen the tail and thought what am I gonna use that thing for, this is what I came up with.
Hook- Mustad 340111 1/0
thread-black kevlar
Body- blue rabbit
Tail- black snake tail
eyes- chrome x-large dumbell eyes
I layed a thraed base and then cut about 1/3 of the thick end of the tail off
after tying on I tied the eyes in and used a few dropps of Zap-A-Gap on each
after letting that dry I tied in the rabbit fur and wrapped it around the hook and eyes, finnished the head and put a little cement on and it was done.
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1729.jpg (82.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Left overs

Bear: Pretty cool looking pattern!

Larry
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like it too. Let us know the test results.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Thanks guys, I'll let ya know what it does. The only thing I can see bad is that the tail is twisted with copper wire so its kinda stiff. I have a couple snake flies that the tail is alot more supple, I would like to find some more tails like that and ty this fly.
Bear
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Nice stuff...I find that when Ive been tieng for a while the leftover stuff can make some nice stuff.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 AM

Thanks, yeah the left overs can make some cool stuff for sure
Bear