The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default stp foam frog

used this pattern instructions! Welcome to the Online Fly Tyer
used insect green and white foam and chartruese legs and red and brown markers also cut out tan foam and have some tan legs for some tan frogs or toads... but the biggest hooks i got so far is size 6 streamer hooks so i will see if this hook gape is big enough to hook fish and not miss um. everyone says it won't work but i will try it 1st.. if it sucks i will get some bigger bass hooks in a size 4 or 6 sumthing looks good tho! if they hit it at least i will know if they like the pattern!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV32837.JPG (85.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg SNV32842.JPG (83.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg SNV32840.JPG (84.5 KB, 202 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:30 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: stp foam frog

I've been fishing this pattern for about the last 5 years or so, it's very effective. Even better yet, it's cheap and fast to tie.

Click the image to open in full size.

The best hook to use on these is something call a Stinger hook. Most of the hook manufactures make this pattern. They usually come in sizes 10, 6 and 2.
Best place to get the foam is just about any craft store or eve Walmart. You can usually get a sheet for .50, so for a couple bucks of material, you're all set.

The only warning I'll give you, don't fish these when little kids are around. When they see a big old bucketmouth crash the surface and swallow poor old Kermit, it will give them nightmares for weeks. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-09-2009, 06:07 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

That is one cool pattern!!!! As for the hook gap, it is wide enough, besides, the foam body should compress a bit, lettin' a little more of the hook gap. I've tied many bass bugs on size 2-6 lightwire Aberdene hooks. Had 'em left over from my Crappie fishin' days.LOL Very nice ties!!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Damn nice ties man, well done
Bear
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Both patterns look like they would be really effective!

Larry
Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks guys. also that is a nice tie pszy! haha I don't got kids so I should be ok! lol keep ya posted on the hook gape gonna try it out soon enough!

Old 05-09-2009, 09:27 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

wow... nice frog pattern....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM

yeah will keep ya posted if it works. looks pretty nice and is very simple to tie also!! was looking for some mustad 3366's for this pattern and some bass bugs and found a good hook website that has cheap name brand hooks. check it out! Captain Hook's Discount Warehouse

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

WOW McFly you can tie something other then a Clouser :s weatingb
Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
WOW McFly you can tie something other then a Clouser :s weatingb
hahahahahahah I was just gonna post my new variation of the clouser but I think I won't now...... screw it here it is! made it just like a bucktail streamer but used other materials! its a lake erie shiner using olive and white congo hair, olive water silk for the top wing, and olive pearl widow flash. all from fly tyers dungeon! this have better movement than bucktail and each color costs only a buck!! sorry for all the clouser variations, I been just tying what works and my fly boxes have been full and I have been lazy so no other patterns got made up. I tied plenty of egg patterns for the steelies but they are gone now so its bass and gill time! I am bout to break out my materials and make all kinds of summer flies. dries, wets, and yes even streamers like my fav fly clousers!!!! see the bass i got on um in the warmwater section? lol ps believe it or not only got 4 steelheads on clousers this year. the big fly of the year was the crystal meth sucker spawn in pearl,orange, pink, and chartruese. keep ya posted on my new ties. will start tying tomorrow night and posting them within the week but
1st am gonna try out these frogs tommorrow! keep ya posted if i get some bass I will post it in the warmwater section!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV32802.JPG (80.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg SNV32803.JPG (78.8 KB, 141 views)