The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking for nitro caddis recipe

I was wondering if any one new how to tye or had the recipe for nitro caddis.
If you can let me know that would be great.
Thanks
DAVE
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for nitro caddis recipe

Dave: I hadn't heard of that caddis pattern until you mentioned it, but it certainly looks like a killer pattern. I hope someone here knows how to tie it and is willing to share. I did a Google search and a Youtube search and didn't find any information. I'm going to order a couple from one of the on-line sites that carry it and then I will have a good idea how it is tied.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry

Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

It doesn't look all that complicated. I would think that once you had one in hand it would be an easy tie.

About the only thing I can't identify is what is used for the abdomen.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking pattern. I think the abdomen is ultrachenille burnt on the end. I'm thinking some sort of crystal hackle for the collar.

Dan

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

I found a pic I could zoom in on; I think the abdomen is Diamond Braid or something like it with the end burnt. Also has a small bead under that Ice Dub they used for the collar...

Dan
Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Those are great. Hope to find how to tie a few of those too.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Here is a Nitro Caddis I found:

...at Deschutes Angler, in Olive

It looks remarkably like a pattern that was developed by Canadian tier, Jeremy Davies about eight years ago...he used ostrich herl for the collar/thorax...

PEARL CORE BRAID CADDIS PUPAE

Hook: TMC 2457, Diiachi 1120, # 14-16

Thread: Gordon Griffith’s 14/0 Black, Brown

Abdomen: Midge Pearl Core Braid, Olive, Tan, Black or Grey

Wing: Mottled partridge, Natural, Dyed brown or olive

Thorax: Black, brown or olive Ostrich Herl

Bead: Gold, Black

The Nitro Caddis appears to have a collar/thorax made from Olive/Brown Ice Dub...The pattern is from Umpqua so it should not be too difficult to get one's hands on it to de-construct...

Hope this helps !!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Planettrout: Nice work!

Larry