The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about
Default Woven Hares Ear Tutorial

I cant remember if Timbo05 or I tied this fly first but Tim was the first to fish it. Since them it has become a go too for me during the winter and spring. I usually fish it in a size 16 or 14 but it also does pretty good as a Golden Stone imitation if you tie it big enough.

Let me know if I didn't explain something good enough and I'll try to clarify.

The Materials needed.
Click the image to open in full size.
Tie in a tail of guard hairs off the hares mask
Next tie in the Swiss straw or embroidery floss on each side of shank. With the floss I use two or three strands.
This part is hard to explain... hopefully the picture helps. Take the lighter color and form a loop under the hook shank. Form a loop in the darker color over the hook shank. Put the tag end of the light color through the loop of the darker color and the tag of the dark color through the loop of the light color.
Tighten it up and do it again and again and again.
once the body is the proper length tie off the two strands.
Tie in a turkey or Mylar flash wing case and dub your thorax. I like to use the hares mask for dubbing or a dubbing that has guard hare's in it.
Pull the wing case over and tie it off.

It's fun to fish something a little different then the guy next to you is fishing. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Woven Hares Ear Tutorial

Nice tye! Good looking stone fly pattern one that gets used a lot here in the Northeast.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Nice tie Allen

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Nice tutorial and interesting pattern!!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time to post the tutorial! That is a great looking woven pattern, I'm going to give it a try.

Larry

Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guy's. glad you liked it
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Good looking hares ear.thanks for the tutorial.I'm going to give this one a go tonight for sure!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Very nice!

Hmmm, I happen to have both brown and yellow antron yarn. That could produce a nice stone or drowned hoppery thing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Thats a really neat way to tie a fly, I'll have to try that soon.
Thanks, Cabot
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM

The neighbor kid got his first rod for Christmas and hadn't had a chance to use it except for at the community pond so I took him on the river yesterday. The fishing wasn't fast but we found a few. Most were small, but we caught a couple big enough to make him excited. The Woven hares ear was our best pattern.