The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: a couple of Killer Style patterns

Glad you liked the fly. Do you mean the fly is old, or I am? ROTFL.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Kelly I have had a quick look through the index of my books and have 14 patterns Ill PM them to you when I get time

You can substatute the wood cock for quail they are fairly similar

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice ties, Kelly!

Pocono
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Chris I'd love to have them, thank you.
Thanks Pocono. I enjoyed tying them.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Kelkay nice Flies,two of my favourite flies for night Fishing.
It's a bit fiddly tying the Mrs Simpson & the Lords Killer first up,with the church window feathers being so small you have to split the bodies into 2 or 3 parts.
I tie my Mrs Simpsons with a Black Furr Tail,the Hammil's with a darker feather.
Cheers Brian.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinselwynNZ View Post
Sometimes seethroughish is good (like the orange witch with one feather each side of chukkar flank), the wood cock feathers will be good for a lords killer (it takes 16-20 feathers) but they are hard to work with I have found the flatter the feather the harder to use it will be

Chris
I'm with Chris here. Wonderful what you find when you're not looking. Bit back found TWO full boxes of flies I purchased in NZ years back for fishing in that beautiful Country. (Guys, even if you have to skip the rod ... you won't ... MAKE THE TRIP!! Two Islands, and they're worlds apart as to what you'll find/see.)

Flies are from the late '90's and patterns I've seen nowhere else. Bits of Bunny, what the hell is that feather?, etc.

Chris, if you want to do a 'Labor of Love' post photos of the 'local patterns.' Many are unique to the Islands.

Chris gives you a tiny taste here: Classic New Zealand Streamers In post #78 you have a close cousin to one I've done (a 'Fred Pattern') that 'won' a small contest years back. The body was black chenille/oval or holographing tins. for a rib, with 'side wings' of red died Gold Pheasant feathers. All sorts of ways you can alter the colours with this, but 'it' makes for a striking fly (pun intended). I called it "The Body Bag." (No bad pun intended.)

Fred
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Thank you Brian. I am very honored you liked them!

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

I would love to see what you have in those boxes. Thanks for the comments. I think Chris outdid himself. Thanks for that link. I have explored it a while back. I have been doing spring yard work, which has to be done now. (before it gets too hot) I would rather be tying a bunch of flies. Seeing this thread makes me want to hit the tying bench for sure. :-)
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Chris, if you want to do a 'Labor of Love' post photos of the 'local patterns.' Many are unique to the Islands.

Fred
Fred I do plan on adding the local patterns, as I get the materials required for each pattern

Chris

the contents of that box sound interesting

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi all.
We also have a few local patterns some are variants,however like others I still like the traditional flies as they cover a wide range & you can always catch fish on them,I will show them when I tie them.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Hi Again.
I omitted that I use Hungarian Partridge Pheasant Feathers in the Hamill's Killer died Olive Green,even though I have tied them with Olive Green Wood Duck Breast Feathers.