The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Orange Witch

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is my first go at it. Another NZ Killer style pattern.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orange Witch

Great looking pattern, congrats on the fine tie!

Larry

Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Larry. I didn't have matching pairs, but I did the best I could with it. I am going to make another one just for the heck of it. The feathers can be kind of fiddly to tie in this way. But I love the look of one.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That will work well Kelly, many young dace, chub, and darters have those vertical stripes on their tail. That was how I ended up using dyed partridge for the tail on my baby brown trout pattern The Answer. Not because brown trout fry or parr fish have the stripe but because other forage fish do. The idea was to make a fly that looks like food. Your fly will look like food when wet and swimming across a stream.

Nice tying there,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Thank you Ard. I am wondering if you could put some of these style of flies on a dry fly hook, and fish will think they are butterflies in the spring and summer? The body on this fly calls for orange wool or orange chenille. I wonder what a braid would do on the body, or nothing on the shank. Then put dry fly stuff on it like Water Shed? Maybe a moth or butterfly....just let it float, and twitch it now and then. I may try it.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice looking fly, Kelly!

When you tie killer style, are you getting the front and back feathers to touch ends both above and below the hook?

Pocono
Old 01-29-2011, 08:44 PM

There are some Killer flies that are tied in like this one. All sides, top and bottom match. Then there are those with sets of 3 feathers tied in on each side. Some tie in two pairs. The fly here is two pairs on each side of the shank, tied in at the head. I made one a couple of days ago that had about 14 feathers tied in on one small fly. It was a royal pain to do. The feathers were see through, so I did two pair all along the shank. I hope this makes sense. Sometimes what I think, and try to explain doesn't come out well. So on most of these flies, it depends I think on the size you are making. Sure you could do two pairs on this fly, per side. But typically they do a pair per side. 2-4 pairs of feathers per side is usually the most common I believe.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Very nice Kelly, the orange witch is my favorite killer fly and is very effective not so popular though because chukkar feathers are hard to get

It is best fished early in the season over here and looses efectiveness after christmas (not that it wont take a fish just not as many)

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Glad you liked it Chris, and thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting fly Kelly,what's the hook size?Should tie some to fish next time I go to a reservoir,they're very unusual here.