The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midges

Nice looking midges, Larry!

I particularly like the WD-40 (longer tail looks good to me) and the CF Chocolate.

Pocono
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

Nice midges, Larry. I'm just starting to fish and tie midges and they work great.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer56 View Post
Nice midges, Larry. I'm just starting to fish and tie midges and they work great.
Thanks! You're correct midges work great, especially in the winter. In November I fished the San Juan with Crittergetter and had a blast and that is all we fished with, size 24 and 26 midges. I mostly tie 18, 20 and 22. I have yet to tackle the 24 or 26 sizes but I hope to now that I have a good magnifying lens on my tying station thanks to FrankB for recommending that little gem.

Larry

Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Larry, well tied, sir! Thanks for sharing. Along the lines of hooks, I use DaiRiki 125 emerger hooks for my tiny offerings since the gape is so much more open than regular nymph or dry fly hooks, and that increases my hookups.

Kelly.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Larry, well tied, sir! Thanks for sharing. Along the lines of hooks, I use DaiRiki 125 emerger hooks for my tiny offerings since the gape is so much more open than regular nymph or dry fly hooks, and that increases my hookups.

Kelly.
Kelly: Thanks, I appreciate the tip on the DaiRiki 125 emerger hooks, I'll have to pick some up!

Larry

Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larry,
I always forget to scroll down to this forum. Nice flies, and it's great to see that the magnifying lens is helping. I used mine to get a huge view of a #10 Wooly Bugger this afternoon...Seriously! I tied some Zebra Midges this weekend, but was too lazy to spend 3 minutes switching to my Peak's midge jaws.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Larry,
I always forget to scroll down to this forum. Nice flies, and it's great to see that the magnifying lens is helping. I used mine to get a huge view of a #10 Wooly Bugger this afternoon...Seriously! I tied some Zebra Midges this weekend, but was too lazy to spend 3 minutes switching to my Peak's midge jaws.
Frank: Thanks! That's fuuny, I'm lazy in the other direction, I just keep the midge jaws on all the time and when tying big articualted streamers on size 4 and 6 hooks, I just sink the hook bend deep into the jaws.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 02-01-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Larry,

Great looking midges!!! Just started tying and bought Pat Dorsey's new book on tail water flies. Great read and especially great photography on his best 24 tail water patterns. The mercury midges are in the book and you definitely nailed it.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Real nice ties Larry, I've been dropping midges off the end of my casts here too. thanks for sharing these, great photos too.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Larry,

what is the gill material on the chocolate midge?
and what size hook?

all good man ,nice

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory