The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking for ideas

Have tons of moose hair.......

Anybody got a good moose use?????

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Re: Looking for ideas

Donate it to a naked moose?

Seriously, lots and lots of streamers.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for ideas

Try here:

Fly Patterns using Moose
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=axle27;62998]Donate it to a naked moose? great jokejoke
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Seems like moose could be pretty ideal for larger sizes of this thing- "Tom Thumb - #247 FAOL" I've heard wonderful things about its fish catching abilities, but have never fished any.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, sounds like you're in moose heaven. Depending of what you've got-- and what kind of stuff you like to tie, there are a couple things you can do with all your meese.

Moose mane- long mixed black, dark brown and cream colored hairs can be used to wrap bodies the same way you'd use a quill to make a quill body fly. A couple cream ones for a Quill Gordon, mixed black and cream for a nice striped looking mosquitos or midges, a couple dark brown ones for a dun Variant (isonychia). You can use them in standard hackled dry patterns or with stuff like CDC etc for emergers, just dub the thorax and use the quills for the abdomen. They also make great antennae on crayfish and shrimp type stuff. They can be brittle to wrap, but a light coat of head cement over a thread base before you wrap helps make them more durable, or you could rib with counter wraps of fine wire shank or a tag end of heavier thread in a contrasting shade/color.

Moose body hair makes great tails for fast water dries like Wulffs. As you know, it's dark brown - almost black. If you have tons of it on the hide you might try bleaching some strips-- it comes out a gingery color. As far as other stuff you can do with it, it spins pretty well- though not as well as deer body hair (it's more brittle), so you can use it the same way. Use a thick thread like 3/0 so you don't cut it when you torque the thread down.

You can also use the body hair for a dry fly collar. Tie in tips forward at the tie in point with whatever length you want extending over the eye and spin. Bind down the butts and then fold back the tips and build a thread dam in front to hold them in place. (If you have some trouble you can use an empty pen barrel to push them back to get a 360 flare, though you can easily do it with your fingers.) You can make quick high floating 'Variant" style dry flies like this, or more complicated patterns like this Waker Wulff (this one uses deer body hair, but the steps are the same) They float like corks and you can make them whatever size you want- just use thickish thread so you don't cut the hair when you torque down:
"Waker Wulff (Hair Hackle) - FAOL"

Other uses i guess are up to your imagination- body hair for nymph backs or wingcases in place of a strip of mottled turkey or thin skin for stuff like stonefly nymphs? (You can toughen it up some with a couple of light coats of sally hansen's after you tie up a bunch.)

I've never used moose for hair wings, but you could probably do that too-- maybe stuff from the hock for caddis wings on dries (both EHC style and down wing patterns with tight wraps to flare and stuff like a fluttering caddis using some loose wraps to gather the hair and reduce flaring ), and maybe some sparse strands for caddis pupae type wets/emergers?

Good luck- let us know what you come up with!

mark
Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

You can make body and tail with moose.
Click the image to open in full size.

Trygve
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM

PAMike is on a distinguished road

you can always send me some ...... i use it for tails and streamers.....GL
Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Wow what awesome responses.....Thanks.....I mean it....awesome stuff.

Hey PAMike........PM me an addy and I'll do that!!!!

Thanks again .......wow!!!!!

North Woods Wanderings

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Anybody Else ??????

Where can I find more spinner patterns using moose??? (Thanks axle!!!)

Willing to share some of my bounty...... the first 5 to PM me will get a packet.

North Woods Wanderings