The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Warm winter weather, limestone streams, and special regulations make for a decen

I decided to take full advantage of the heat wave we are experiencing and headed up to fish a little limestone special reg stream.

I started the day off with a fisherman's cup of coffee.

Click the image to open in full size.

Once I arrived at the stream, I though I would try a dry/dropper. It proved to be unsuccessful, just too cold and the dropper could not get deep enough to be in the feeding lanes. After about 20 minutes of nothing, I tied up a double nymph rig and started fishing my version of Czech nymphing.

First cast yielded this.

Second cast yielded this.

I fished on for a bit with nothing else happening. I came upon a slick pool with a slow run down the middle. I stood back and watched trout sipping bugs from the surface. I tied on a #22 dry and after a few casts, I hooked up with a rainbow. He came unhooked and I threw the dry for a few more minutes with nothing.

I went back to the double nymph, casted to the head of the slow run and nailed this.

It slowed down for a bit but I did manage to spook 3 big deer. Actually, they spooked me pretty good. If you look real close, you can see a white tail in the middle of the pic. By the time I got my camera they were in the woods.

These are more what I am used to catching.

It had warmed up quite a bit so when I came into some shallower water and decided to try the dry/dropper again.

Wham bam, back to back

This one was quite nice, at least I think so. It's the largest wild trout I have ever caught. I am guessing 15-16 inches, but I am not sure since I did not measure her.

Oddball brown of the day.

I caught these 2 guys from the same hole. Both were quite aerobatic, the last one made at least 4 leaps from the water, jumping at least 2 feet above the surface.

All and all, a decent day for this time of year but I did not catch anywhere near as many as I would have liked. Spring is just around the corner, I can not wait for things to pick up.

All fish were caught on a #16 brown BHHE. I hooked 2 on the dry but lost them both. As usual, I missed a few hooksets, hooked and lost a few, and spooked a few.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Warm winter weather, limestone streams, and special regulations make for a decen

BEAUTIFUL mug ----------bet you thought I was going to say fish...they are really nice too !!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Warm winter weather, limestone streams, and special regulations make for a decen

Nice pics. Looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Really pretty fish and lots of them too, you are fortunate to have a spring where you can go this time of year.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work for a winter day! Congrats on the great fish and photos!

Larry