The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Southeast U.S.

Southeast U.S. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice
Default Humbled on the blue line yesterday (2/22/11)

I hit up one of my favorite blue lines yesterday and I was humbled, embarrassed, and degraded. The trout taunted me and laughed at me and reminded me that they are the boss, not me.

The water was so low, it was lower than normal for July/August. The fishing was great, as always. However, the catching was horrible. The fish were super spooky, of course, but they were active. I hooked and lost more fish than I brought to hand. I had numerous strikes on the dry but most fish were caught on the dropper.

This is a small stream, ranging from 8-15 feet wide. There is a fairly decent population of 10-12 inch rainbows and browns in this stream. They were no where to found yesterday. With the super low water, they were likely hiding under the rocks not daring to come out.

I had planned on fried trout for dinner, maybe the trout knew that. I did not catch one legal sized fish. That is unheard of for me on this stream. Yes, I creel a few wild rainbows from time to time and I'm not ashamed of it.

I ended up with only 8 very small fish landed.

About half of them were this size.

Click the image to open in full size.

The other half were this size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Humbled on the blue line yesterday (2/22/11)

Nothing to worry on there, at least you were able to get out and fish a bit. If you want to catch the big ones this time of year you may need to rethink your approach

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humbled on the blue line yesterday (2/22/11)

At least you got on the water and landed some beautiful little fish, maybe next time you will land Walter!

Larry